Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quite proud of myself last night:wow:

I've got a very old (late 70's) hollow handled survival knife.

It's in a leather sheath, has a sharpening stone, a decent 6" serated back stainless blade, a handle that contains a load of survival essentials (waterproof matches, magnesium ribbin, fishing line & hooks, a ribbon saw / snare and purification tablets) and it's topped off with a liquid filled ball compass that has long since dried up.

Anyway, yesterday I set about refreshing said knife (sharpening & cleaning, the blade, resealing everthing to ensure water-tighness) which was easy except for the ball compass.

It was a PITA to remove from the holder but when I got it off, I drilled a minute hold in the botton of the ball, injected water into it with a syringe, sealed it with weapons grade glue and left it in the airing cupboard over night.

Job jobbed, in readiness for 2012:lol:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was tought how to live off the land as a nipper. It started with a book called How to Syrvive by a chap called Brian Hildreth (Sp).

My Dad being ex-WWII tought me put things into practise which was great fun and a million miles away from the X Box generation you have these day.

We lived very near to Clyne Woods in Swansea so I speant most of my childhood over there, shooting, fishing, making dens, shelters, getting muddy & stinky and so on.

Later I joined army cadets and then did some trianing in the PS which involved Sennybridge - Happy Days:D

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:lol: Those knives were a load of rubbish, blade kept coming undone and I lost the stone within a week.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:lol: What do you think he used the knife for ?

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Picture quality doesn't look that good.

Have you seen/used the camera on the Galaxy SII :wow:

:lol:

:p

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picture quality doesn't look that good.

Have you seen/used the camera on the Galaxy SII :wow:

:lol:

:p
It's a screen print of a zoomed website page (press & hold the power & home buttons at the same time);)

Can you do that on the lesser phone or will the plasticky buttons snap off:confused::p:lol:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
It's a screen print of a zoomed website page (press & hold the power & home buttons at the same time);)

Can you do that on the lesser phone or will the plasticky buttons snap off:confused::p:lol:
Same method here :p

All beit with a weaker case :cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In preparation for next Wednesday ;)
I was thinking more of 2012, just in case;)

Also got the rifle sorted, plenty of batteries for torches, emergency rations, walkie talkies, fortifications & so on:thumbs::):lol:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Erm' good stuff Sqn.:thumbs: Although I think the damping agent for the compass should really be glycerin? :confused:
Good point Zed:thumbs: Just researching that & odourless mineral spirit:confused:

What is that then:confused:

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
You can get glycerin from your local pharmacy.

It can be used to treat sores, chapped lips and other skin conditions, as well as a suspension for magnetic needles.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Erm' Sqn, without googling I'm not sure other than an oily liquid that mum would put in my ears when I had earache as a nipper? Sort of neutral reluctant to freeze or corrode substance, which you should be able to get from a pharmacist/chemist? Some top notch research chemist on AO will stick me back in my foxhole and lid me I bet!! :D :lol:

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Why it's common knowledge around these parts ZF.

I had to get some glycerine when my Dad was poorly, so checked up to see what it was used for in various concentrations/solutions.

Used it 50/50 with distilled water for his chapped lips, applied with a NHS issues mouth sponge.

(Also keep survival tin/kit out of the tang of your knife)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts