·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
156 1.8 ts maxing out which must be at around 155 mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUyefvd2Wc8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

G

·
The speedo is showing 240kmh which is 150mph. You can probably take 10mph off that for the speedo over-reading, which makes it 140mph. The car is travelling down a nice steady incline on a motorway with the pedal to the metal. The rev meter is maxing out at 7K rpm.

I think that's all within the realms of possibility?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
love one of the questions...

esta' chipeado? which I'm going to interpret as ''has it had a remap mate? quick for a 1.8 TS even if it is reading ''optimistic''

brilliant. and proof to our plod that it it's quite possible to drive fast without being dangerous or doing anyone any harm whatsoever...straight(ish) road, good visibility and conditions and nice and quiet.

god forbid we might be capable of judging for ourselves what speed is suitable for the prevailing conditions. and our own ability.

G

·
A quick Google of the top speed of a 1.8TS reveals a theoretical 130mph. That'd be on the flat of course.

If the car is actually travelling at 140mph in that video (with 150mph displayed), I think the fact of it going downhill on a long motorway stretch for a sustained period could easily explain the extra 10mph.

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
I don't believe it...

I have had a few TS engined cars including three 146Ti's, a couple of 156 2.0's and three 145 QV's

They all seemed to hit a brick wall at around 130mph, even on my slightly downhill section of private road.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cars not on the slight incline all the time its just at the start of the clip and it seems to reach the end of the kph at 240 but the rev counter is still increasing.
I would say that car is doing in excess of 140mph maybe 145mph, but how is that possible as Symon said the 1.8 ts maxes out at 130mph.I dont think the cars been seriously modified maybe just the rev limiter lifted?.

·
Registered
316 Posts
In the comments he says that it's reading 20kph fast compared to GPS, so that's 12mph. Throw in the downslope and it seems OK to me.

I've got to say I haven't had a car that fast on a public road ever, though I've nudged 150 indicated on a bike, and I don't think I'd be too happy unless I could find a road that quiet and that I knew very well. 2/3rds of a football pitch per second doesn't leave much margin for error when you don't know what idiot driver may pop out of one of those slip roads.

Thank God for racetracks!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Ive had my 1.8 close to about 130mph. Although it can be optimistic. But I did tune it to dump loads of fuel in at the higher revs. Its possible but it would take some doing on a none remapped car.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
seen this video long time ago. read that 195/50R15 smaller wheels are being used. so speedo is reading at least 20 km/h plus about 3% factory speedo error over actual speed and hitting the rev limiter in 5th gear.

·
Registered
324 Posts
god forbid we might be capable of judging for ourselves what speed is suitable for the prevailing conditions. and our own ability.
While I'd be inclined to support that statement in principle, practice teaches us quickly that this is not the case.

I remember being especially ****ed off 2 weeks in a row a couple of months back when we happened to have 2 consecutive Monday morning commutes in heavy downpours (not common here) and twice a lorry flipped on its side in the same tunnel on my way to work.
Simple case of people not adapting to the circumstances at that moment.
I think what ****ed me off most was those gigantic tailbacks were caused by people who are supposed to be professional drivers.

Oh, and now they've reduced the speed limit towards and in that tunnel by 20 kph, so we're all 'punished' during the 350 days a year conditions are pretty brilliant for driving because some morons really do ruin things for everyone.
:paperbag::censored::hurl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts