Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a look at this web site if you feel you can support this project it's free to sign up and would help us to get the word out of what we are trying to achieve. We have the full support of AugustaWestland who have given us free range to their archive and have promised us all the help they can as long as it doesn't cost them anything lol:rolleyes:

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
That looks like a corking site Merlin :D

I'll join tomorrow, already spotted a few things in the shop as potential gifts for my Pa in Law :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like a corking site Merlin :D

I'll join tomorrow, already spotted a few things in the shop as potential gifts for my Pa in Law :thumbs:
Thanks HM.

I've been chatting to Messier-Bugatti-Dowty regards the undercarriage. We have others collecting all sorts of cockpit instruments.

The biggest problem so far has been finding the right size props as it looks as if they were one off's.

Having fun. Chris.:lol:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This isn't a dig, but why build an air plane that will never fly?

:confused:
I totally understand where you are coming from, and it's been one of those questions that's been talked about endlessly. As far as the project is concerned not only was this a ground breaking aircraft being the first twin engined cannon armed fighter in the RAF but there were many innovations that Petter built into it that had never been seen before.
Unfortunately it was to far ahead of it's time and was underdeveloped. There were only 118 built, last one being scrapped in 1948 or so. Surely one Whirlwind replica would fill a hole in the history of aircraft manufacture in this country that is missing so many other wonderful airframes. Besides to build one to flying condition would cost in excess of £1m doing this way is a lot cheaper and may lay the groundwork for a possible flyer later on.:)

Sorry about the long story. He He:lol:

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Membership currently waiting approval :D

I'm gonna buy the Pa in law a jet engine RPM gauge £15:00 is a bargin he'll love it :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn't the biggest problem underdeveloped, unreliable engines? Maybe you should change your username to "Peregrine"!:cool:
LOl You are right about the engines, just as well they didn't put them in Spits:)

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
None now mate :D

Just created a profile, the cat looks a little out of place but he's my Avatar on every other forum I'm on :)

Can't wait to give the PIL a tour he's looking forward to looking through the gallery:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
None now mate :D

Just created a profile, the cat looks a little out of place but he's my Avatar on every other forum I'm on :)

Can't wait to give the PIL a tour he's looking forward to looking through the gallery:thumbs:
Good News:)

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
:eek: Anorak confession :eek:

I've been reading up on the development of the Merlin engine from the Kestrel through to the Peregrine then on to the Vulture :D

Imagine my surprise to read that the Spitfire had the aero equivalent of torque steer :eek:

what's worse is it steered in the opposite direction when fitted with the more powerful Vulture :wow:

Plently of good talking and reading points with the PIL after reading that, he was technician working Merlins in Lancasters :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts