Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some ground rules needed methinks?

here's a few, just to get us started:

parents - its not a toy. allowing your precious little ones to scan for you, whilst enabling a bit of bonding in the commercial environment, merely delays everyone else. just. dont. do. it.

hey you. yep, you with the trolley full. (you can see where this is going already cant you)

bag the stuff as you go along, imbecile.

the products with tags? give them to the attendant before you start. trust me - its easier.

paul

M

·
0 Posts
some ground rules needed methinks?

here's a few, just to get us started:

parents - its not a toy. allowing your precious little ones to scan for you, whilst enabling a bit of bonding in the commercial environment, merely delays everyone else. just. dont. do. it.

hey you. yep, you with the trolley full. (you can see where this is going already cant you)

bag the stuff as you go along, imbecile.

the products with tags? give them to the attendant before you start. trust me - its easier.

paul
I hate shopping, and I hate self scanning machines.......I find it easier to go to a regular checkout and go through the 'this is really annoying me' into 'think calm thoughts....think of cracking open that bottle of wine once you are at home' thought process :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
One of my favourite things in the entire world is saying to my wife or daughter "Let's go to a proper till" when they suggest the useless shitty self-service ones. "No" they chorus "This'll be much faster.".

I then stand there smiling sweetly as the poor woman in charge runs around like a blue arsed fly confirming that everyone is over 18 and can buy booze. Then the crisps won't go through because it thinks you haven't put them in the bag. Then it becomes convinced that there is something in the bagging area that shouldn't be and all hell breaks loose. And all the while the poor woman is having a nervous breakdown because little johnny has sat where the bags go so the machine thinks his mother is trying to steal the entire store. Then some miserable bloke decides it isn't worth the bother and just ****s off and leaves his shopping behind.

I smile and say nowt as I watch the queue we would have joined disappear. They are in their cars and driving home and we're still here dicking about. At this point, my wife looks at me, scowls, and says "Shut up!" and I never said a bloody word.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
....... Then some miserable bloke decides it isn't worth the bother and just ****s off and leaves his shopping behind.
I've done that, more than once too, :thumbs: :D. Hate those things with a passion, :mad:. Now, if the staff try to insist that I go to the self check-outs, I motion towards my basket and ask "Do you really want to have the bother of putting all that stuff back on the shelves?"

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
I avoid the self service tills like the plague, I tried them once and never again! I would rather go to a standard till with some gormless teen on it who couldn't tell the difference between a a spud and a turnip if his life depended on it :lol: Where else would people like him get jobs if till are all self service ? :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
One of my favourite things in the entire world is saying to my wife or daughter "Let's go to a proper till" when they suggest the useless shitty self-service ones. "No" they chorus "This'll be much faster.".

I then stand there smiling sweetly as the poor woman in charge runs around like a blue arsed fly confirming that everyone is over 18 and can buy booze. Then the crisps won't go through because it thinks you haven't put them in the bag. Then it becomes convinced that there is something in the bagging area that shouldn't be and all hell breaks loose. And all the while the poor woman is having a nervous breakdown because little johnny has sat where the bags go so the machine thinks his mother is trying to steal the entire store. Then some miserable bloke decides it isn't worth the bother and just ****s off and leaves his shopping behind.

I smile and say nowt as I watch the queue we would have joined disappear. They are in their cars and driving home and we're still here dicking about. At this point, my wife looks at me, scowls, and says "Shut up!" and I never said a bloody word.
:lol:

Priceless!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I like them :eek: - but only if I have a few bits of shopping :D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I hate them! Don't trust them, too many time when you have to call staff to override the computer:(

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
me "he he he - need to see my ID?"

them "no, not today" - over shoulder as they dash to next red light

me (eyebrow raised, stomach sucked in) "sure?"

my daughter "he's gone, Dad"

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
+1 :thumbs:

I stood in a queue of about 20 people in WH Smiths today waiting for the 4 (very efficient) checkout staff to whip through their job quite well.

6 feet to the right stood a forlorn bank of 4 "self service" tills, all empty, and with an equally forlorn staff member leaning on one of them and as each new person joined the end of the "humans" queue she made a vague request if they would like to use the self service and got a 100% "No ta" from everyone.

She seemed pretty resigned to getting a "no ta" from everyone.

I think most people have them firmly in the "do not trust" category now, and the staff seem to be equally enamoured with them.

Sad really, because I often used to give them a try when I've only got a couple of items - but (and I'm not exaggerting here) I'd say 75% of the time it ends in tears either because of the bagging issue or a wiered 'elf and safety bit of logic that requires an 18 year old spotty teenager to come and approve my 49 year old self to buy staples, or glue or some other weapon of mass destruction :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
the best ones are in places like B&Q, where you need to manhandle a huge piece of timber or 200 paving slabs, and you scan one with the stretchy scan thing, and it says "please place the item in the bagging area"

ffs

C

·
0 Posts
i'm not doing their job for them. if they are not employing till staff, make the prices cheaper.
I asked if I got a discount for doing their job for them, didn't go down well with the management drone who heard me :lol:

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
I avoid the self service tills like the plague, I tried them once and never again! I would rather go to a standard till with some gormless teen on it who couldn't tell the difference between a a spud and a turnip if his life depended on it :lol: Where else would people like him get jobs if till are all self service ? :lol:
+1

Too much of our life is becoming mechanised for the sake of "convenience".
Plus I prefer interaction with most humans (no matter how gormless they are) than I do with a machine, indeed it can be more entertaining.

Ditto with automated telephone services like national rail enquiries
Machine: "Please state your destination"
Me "London Bridge"
Machine "You have selected Anglesey, what is your point of departure?"

Etc.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
*Fishing*

Go on then Bobda, what's the game?
Well Starkers, I'm glad you asked. :D

It's very simple ( :lol: ) and is based on a points system.
When you put your shopping on the belt, if the shopper in front of you puts the 'Next Customer Please' divider down then that's a win for you and you get 1 point. If the divider is already down when you arrive then it's a null game. If the cashier gets confused by the lack of divider it's a loss and -1 point to both shoppers. If no divider gets placed by either shopper and the cashier recognises the change in ownership of shopping it's a draw; 0 points each. If you put the divider down in fear of having to interact with the cashier in case of confusion it's a win for the other shopper.
It works the same way when you are the shopper in front except the other way around, obviously.

GAME ON. :thumbs:

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Is there really a great amount of fun in trying to win games
where only you know that a game is being played :confused:

Sounds a bit similar to winning races on the road against people
who aren't even aware you are racing them :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts