Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am closely monitoring the news about the MY2020 Giulia as I'm about to buy a new Giulia Q as soon as it will be available. So far, I'm satisfied with the infos revealed, however today I found something that really scared me. I was reading the Quattroruote article with google translate and the last paragraph contained some unconfirmed information about the modification of front wheel geometry. I cite it here (just as google translated it):

For the rest, the Giulia does not change, even if, by neck, the Alfa employees have admitted that the front has been modified to bring back the steering angle of the wheels in the correct canons, giving up the peculiar original set-up that it allowed to have a lightning-fast response to the pilot's commands but it led to an accentuated noise in steering-wheel maneuvers on smooth surfaces, such as garage floors, which caused many (unjustified) customer complaints.
(At the wheel of the Giulia and Stelvio MY2020 - Quattroruote.it)

Wow, really? I mean, there are also scared people here, even now, who asks what's the problem with the car, the front tires are scrubbing on tight lock. But does this mean, that the ultra-sharp handling has been sacrificed in order to reduce the complaints regarding it? I hope not... Literally, everybody who drove this car, highlighted, that the steering is super direct and the handling is unmatched to anything in this category. It is a sports car's feeling... To erase this from the Giulia would be a huge let-down. Hope for the best, I will closely watch the news about this issue.

If anyone has further infos, don't hesitate to share it here.

·
Registered
32,257 Posts
That’s crazy. That’s what makes them drive so well?
No comment from the guys on the video about any change in feel though.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If those who posted the test drive have a YouTube channel maybe worth posting a question to them?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My MPS4S which was not skipping when new last winter has just starting skipping quite a bit now that the treads are a bit worn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is just unbelievable that they would give up on the unique handling. At least not on the QV. In fact, I don't think so. But I will try to dig up everything on it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
What is interesting from all this is that I know my Guilia does the skipping and when I first had the Giulietta it did make similar tyre noises when backing off of my drive in reverse. What is odd is that I don't believe the Giulietta has the same Ackermann linkages like the Giulia? Maybe as others suggest could also be dependent on tyre temperatures? All I know is the steering is so sharp, fast and precise on the Giulia. Did anyone see the service info from JWQ, if I won the lottery and bought a Lambo ( sorry FCA) would this also be a forum discussion?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

For the rest, the Giulia does not change, even if, by neck, the Alfa employees have admitted that the front has been modified to bring back the steering angle of the wheels in the correct canons, giving up the peculiar original set-up that it allowed to have a lightning-fast response to the pilot's commands but it led to an accentuated noise in steering-wheel maneuvers on smooth surfaces, such as garage floors, which caused many (unjustified) customer complaints.
(At the wheel of the Giulia and Stelvio MY2020 - Quattroruote.it)

The report and a video is at:

Also it may be covered in the December issue of the Quattroruote magazine. I'll be buying myself a copy in a couple of weeks.

Andy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The report and a video is at:

Also it may be covered in the December issue of the Quattroruote magazine. I'll be buying myself a copy in a couple of weeks.

Andy
Thank you for linking the article I already linked. But If you buy the magazine, and find something useful, I'm waiting for the infos.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think you are freaking out about nothing. The 4C is universally acknowledged to be an improvement when the AlfaWorks package is put on to it. This is no doubt at the expense of handling on a perfectly smooth racetrack. But almost all customers feel that the car is far better after it. I doubt you will even notice the change, if there is one, on the Giulia.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you are freaking out about nothing. The 4C is universally acknowledged to be an improvement when the AlfaWorks package is put on to it. This is no doubt at the expense of handling on a perfectly smooth racetrack. But almost all customers feel that the car is far better after it. I doubt you will even notice the change, if there is one, on the Giulia.
I think so. It will still run 7:32 on the NRing. There are always slight changes as a model proceeds by the years. Nevertheless, the journalists who tested the new models mentioned that the handling is still very sharp.

The ride also seemed a touch smoother, but otherwise the MY20 Veloce drives just like the previous model. That means brilliant steering response and feel, strong but not thundering performance from the 2.0-litre turbocharged engine (276bhp/400Nn to give 0-62mph in 5.2sec) and a level of handling precision that makes most of the main opposition feel clumsy and heavy by comparison.
(from AutoExpress)

The Giulia is still one of the sharpest-handling compact saloons on the market, with direct, responsive steering and just enough rear-driven character to entertain without threatening trouble when pushed.
(from Autocar)

I'm really looking forward to get the new price list.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'm really looking forward to get the new price list.
It will still be overpriced and attempting to punch in the premium segment but without the sturdy dealership gloves to punch in this category where the customer tends to treated with just enough respect but as though they are being done a favour. This attitude will continue to be absorbed and largely tolerated by the Alfa lovers but continue to distance the competing market buyers. The Giulia will still drive brilliantly and anything else will feel like steering a barge.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Thank you for linking the article I already linked. But If you buy the magazine, and find something useful, I'm waiting for the infos.
HI HussarF,

Your link didn't work for me when I first tried it.

I wonder if @MacGeek has any insider knowledge on this which he might share.

Andy

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
That link doesn't seem right?

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
It will still be overpriced and attempting to punch in the premium segment but without the sturdy dealership gloves to punch in this category where the customer tends to treated with just enough respect but as though they are being done a favour. This attitude will continue to be absorbed and largely tolerated by the Alfa lovers but continue to distance the competing market buyers. The Giulia will still drive brilliantly and anything else will feel like steering a barge.
I don't think any of the 'premium' brands in this segment are any better. My last car was an RS6 Performance and Audi were no better than Alfa. Just go onto any of these 'premium' brand forums and you'll see plenty of people complaining about the dealers. You need to really spend a lot more to get treated well by dealers (*I wouldn't be surprised if some 'budget' brands treated their customers better either).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You are probably right @MikeFish, I just don't have the experience with the other premium brands when comes to servicing and warranty. I have had much better experience at Ford with my other half's car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts