Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big cars in Italy are feeling the pinch. There's a new tax called the superbollo and it's hitting Ferrari, Maserati etc very hard. No wonder there's no replacement for the 166.

It's €20 per kW for anything over 185kW. This annual levy doesn't apply to registered historic classics over 20 yrs, 5+ year cars pay €12 per kW, 10+ years pay €7 and 15+ year cars pay €3 per kW.

It's not law yet, but I read a thread that someone's 458 or whatever will jump from a few hundred € to a few thousand € per year to tax. Watch out for cheap Italian supercars exported in quantity.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think that I'd better get my 1971 FIAT 500 out of the garage & fix the hole in the floor!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
..that's pretty savage, but at least they've acknowledged that older cars shouldn't pay as much with the sliding scale...

our tax system here in ireland is CO2 based, with a top rate of around €2200 per year (which applies through the car's entire life).

Last year 1 maserati and 3 porches were sold here... seems insane that the itialians would do that to their own industry :(

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
So tax starts at approx 250bhp.

niallmoran is right though - it should not be power dependant but CO and other noxious gasses. But even that can get tricky because on test grounds CO can be much lower than in real use!

One example is my 1.6 diesel focus. I have seen 78mpg on the very same run that I have seen 28mpg. 28mpg was genuine foot to the floor and 110mph plus the other I didn't go over 55mph and was oh so careful!

G

·
0 Posts
Ouch! But Alfa needs to get the 4C out asap - supercar performance without the tax!

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can expect a bunch of 284 kW superbollo specials.

Remember the Ferrari 208 Turbo tax special? And the Maser 2l Biturbo.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I agree that taxing power output just penalises efficient engines that have high power output, but may not be that thirsty. I wonder how they go about calculating the power output on a hybrid? Is it just the internal combustion engine part of the total output that gets taken into account?

Anyway, it's worth bearing in mind that 185kW is almost 250 horses, so there won't be THAT many people paying the tax. Putting it all on fuel duty seems like the fairest way.

·
Registered
674 Posts
A Maserati Gransport will pay EUR €2,500 - just as bad as Ireland.

There is much chat about this on the Maser boards. UK based potential owners are salivating about the imminent crash in prices. Check out post No 3 on this thread Cheap Maseratis (and others) from the Mother country 15 selling enquiries in 2 days. If cars were really dumped onto the open market at that rate prices would fall quicker than a Dublin 'executive' apartment.

I would quite like a LHD Maser and have been watching with interest but the prices haven't come close to the cheaper UK prices - and most used Continental cars have much higher mileage. Given that there would be import costs, buggeration, and lower residuals because of LHD, it doesn't make sense.

Yet.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would quite like a LHD Maser and have been watching with interest but the prices haven't come close to the cheaper UK prices - and most used Continental cars have much higher mileage.
You'd be surprised, Michael. I'm closing in on a QP5; it's almost certainly my next car after the 166. Having said that, I've just done a 1800 mile round trip and the 166 is performing better than ever, so no rush...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts