Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used the SuperAlfa grooved and drilled brake discs ??

If so, what did you think of them. Any good/bad experiences ??

This isn't a thread about which discs are best, I just wanna know specifically about SuperAlfa discs.

Cheers :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So no-one used them ??

Oh well....here's why I asked.....

After 10K miles my front SuperAlfa discs are needing to be changed soon. Basically they have worn that thin that the grooves will soon dissapear, maybe about 3K miles left at most. The rears are about halfway through their life I'd say. I've been using Red Dot XF pads all round and these still have plenty of life in them, they haven't worn that much at all.

So just really to say that I wouldn't use SuperAlfa discs again.....

·
Registered
560 Posts
thanks for the warning Marlon. appreciate your attempt at raising the question before blurting out your comments, shame no one else had experiences to share

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Where did you get them from Marlon, I've not heard of them before?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think they came from EB spares.

I had heard of them before buying them. I know someone on here mentioned them before.

It looks like Knockhills April meet will be the death of the discs. Unfortunately, it also means I'll have to replace the "nearly new" pads aswell :(

Or....would I get away with putting on drilled/grooved discs again and hope they settle the pads ??
Just don't wanna have that uneven scored surface on the discs that have appeared on the current ones as they are getting thin...

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Cheers, I asked because I was looking on EB Spares web-site the other day, and saw something similar...I think I'll steer clear now though :)

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
I remember reading something about SuperAlfa discs being soft but I didn't want to lob it in without any other inputs from people who actually used them.

I think SA originally provided the OE discs for the Giulia. Of course in those days, the pads contained asbestos and were not nearly as abrasive as modern pads, so a softer disc rotor would have given good braking and not much wear.

Modern pads are sintered metal, so in some cases (as noted) the pads wear the disc out, rather than the other way round. SA's may therefore be better on a classic, or when used with a less aggressive pad.

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think I'll replace the front discs soon and rub the pads down to get rid of any grooves. No point in throwing away £100 pads (even though I got them for much much cheaper).

I'm glad what I found with these discs concurs with what Ralf has heard about them. I was wondering if my braking setup or driving style had caused the problem....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just read a "review" on another Alfa site.

Apparently they are great on the 156.

Maybe my pads are too hard and I do too many track days and too many miles for them.........

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Ive got them on the Front of the Spider - been on there for about 2-3000 miles - will keep this thread updated with my progress.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Marlon, why don't your match the pads to some Red Dot discs next time round? I've done around 10,000 miles since I fitted mine with Ferodo DS2500 pads and there's loads of life left in them yet.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I quite fancy the Black Diamond discs TBH.

I've used their pads and well pleased with them, except they overheated at Knockhill using the SuperAlfa discs. I thought it was the pads even though I'd done 70 laps at Knockhill in the 155 V6 no problems at all with BD pads.

Now I think it may actually have been the discs that were overheating.
These discs were put on in August last year, and this is February, so haven't lasted long at all !!! :(

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Someone told me the crossed drilled discs are noisy - does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Modern pads are sintered metal,
Modern pads for road use on cars are organic, just as the old asbestos pads were. They use the same phenolic resins with different fibres - Kevlar, rockwool, glass fibre, steel wool, etc., etc. Metallic particles are often included to modify the friction characteristics. Disc wear tends to be worse with non-asbestos pads as the replacement fibres are more aggressive than asbestos.

Commercially-available sintered metal pads are almost exclusively for motorcycle applications. Bikes use stainless steel brake discs. Bike discs are much thinner than car discs, so wear resistance is a very important consideration; cosmetics also play a part, as the discs are very visible. As the coefficient of friction of stainless steel is something like 20% lower than cast iron bikes need a higher friction pad to compensate, so sintered pads are common, even though they are very aggressive.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Someone told me the crossed drilled discs are noisy - does anyone know if this is true?
I have crossed drilled (and grooved) discs - I did notice a tiny bit more noise when the window was down, you get more of a 'grind' noise from them, nothing bad or annoying though. I dont think pedestians or other cars would even hear it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grooved discs can be a bit noisier, but the only noise is when they are hot.....you get a kinda "drrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise as the grooves hit the pads. As said before it's not really noticeable.

It's the high pitch screaming you can get when using hard pads that may be annoying. Personally it doesn't bother me as I think the screaming noise I get when the brakes are hot and I'm blatting it is cool !!!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Cheers chaps :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update.......

...these discs are defo NOT handling high temperatures at all. And it's worse 'cos the discs are thinner. I'm completely sure the overheating probs I had at Knockhill last August were not down to the Black Diamond pads I used at the time. The pads I have now are temp stable to 950ºC so there is no way I'm overheating the pads.

Got to work today after a spirited drive along the country lanes and all four discs were bright blue. The brakes had become wooden as well.

It's a pity as I don't have the dosh to replace them before the next Knockhill track session. Will just have to come in to the pits more often :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts