Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 156 with a small pond in the rear footwell. I've thought of getting a few fish and a fishing gnome for the back seat but the kids would complain.

..alternatively.... I could fix the leak.

From searching this forum I would guess its the drainage pipes.

Where do the pipes come out? Is it best to remove the roof lining and fix them from the top or find the exit and clear them from beneath?

Any help or guidance appreciated.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
the front pipes come down the a-pillars & out in the engine bay

the rear come down the c-pillars & come out at the back of the rear wheels.

these have a 1 way valve which i'd recommned that you cut them off.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Use some strimmer cable and gently feed it down the channels at the 4 corners of the sunroof (fully opened) Give it a wiggle. If that hasn't done it then the rear wheel arch covers will have to be removed and remove the valves as Sears has suggested and do the same again with the strimmer cable... You'll know what I mean m8 when you see them.

The main problem with blockages is rust from the leading edge of the sunroof.... To prevent it happening, cover the leading edge with duct tape neatly :thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. Enthused by your advice, I had a go this morning.
I tried to find the rear drainage pipes from underneath via the wheel arch but no luck. ( On the plus side the car is now 2 kg of mud lighter )
Took off the roof lining and found the top end of the drainage pipes. definitely blocked. Strimmer cable, wire, a small air compressor were all tried and failed. I followed the pipe down , removing trim as I went. Finally discovered it disappears into the boot.

So a tip to anyone else who needs to do this. Don't bother withe the roof lining or the grimey wheel arches. Go to the boot, lift the boot lining to gain access to the rear of the wheel arch ( You will need to take off the light covers to do this. ) . There you will see the drainage pipe disappearing down through the boot floor. Just pull the pipe up, clear out the gunk , and plug the pipe back in again. Job done.
The right side took me two minutes once I realised this. :)

Thanks for all your swift advice. Next time it breaks I'll be straight back here.
Cheers.
Neil

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
great feedback :thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts