Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason Dawe gives quite a good write up on used 159 this week in the sunday times ingear section worth a look if you are a potential buyer.
Mick

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well to start they put the Alfa Romeo 159 in teh same bracket as the Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Vectra, comparing the latter to an M&S suit and teh Alfa as a Dolce & Gabbana, which I think is a bit rich, but still. Adding that after 2009, the 159 had far better engines.

Quoting directly:
“On the road, both diesel and petrol versions feel spirited, with sharp steering response, a great manual gearbox and impressive handling. In short, the 159’s performance is every bit as good as its aesthetic appeal.”

As we know the servicing is every 21,000 miles or 24 months, whichever is sooner. An advisory oil change every year, or after 10,000 miles. Must admit I’ve not followed that rule of thumb on the oil change!

They mentioned costs on servicing but I think they may have under-quoted and I’d recommend you just speaking to the local Alfa garage for more exact pricing in your area, for the regular service intervals.

The 1750 TBi needs a cam belt after every six years or 63,000 miles (whichever is sooner) costing around £600 inclusive of that year’s minor service, apparently. I’ve been quoted more!

One key point was the service & reliability scores. Apparently In 2007 Alfa was 31st out of 33 in JD Power’s league table of reliability for manufacturers. By 2011 it was joint 10th. However the Times did not comment as to whether this was directly related to 159’s on their own.

The residuals were not impressive but you do get more car and a younger one for your money. In a comparison to the Vauxhall Insignia the residuals were better, but who’d want a Vauxhall Insignia? You can get residuals easily enough from Parkers!

Looking at a Lusso (I think) The Times indicated the value, that for just under £10k and a 3 year old 159 (40k on the clock) you’d be happy.

Tyres were mentioned but they were quoting £200 for the 159 Ti 19” Alloys, which would have been Pirelli or similar and not the £90 a corner Accelera tyres I run on quite happily.

No mention of excessive stone chipping or tyre wear (unless you get the correct 4-wheel alignment & toe settings done), which I've had and the former sorted under warranty thankfully.

Think that was about it accept some comparisons of what you could otherwise buy including older cars like BMWs & Jags; why they quoted the 5 Series & S-Type was probably to create pricing space, as I'd thing the 159 was more in line with the 3 Series or X-Type. I've had the later as a company car and I'm far happier with my 159. Wouldn't touch a BMW! Also mentioned having a slightly younger Insignia or Mondeo. I've had the later twice as a company and a private car; I'm far FAR happier with my 159 Ti.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You gone the "roadrash" stone chips sorted under warranty!? I need in on that action
Sheriff of Nottingham types I bought the car from actually sorted the front wings & bonnet FOC; I paid for front bumper (to ensure the colour match as very little chipping) and also for the passenger front and rear doors as some ar$e egged the car (with 24 eggs!!!) and the paintwork was so brittle there were concentric egg shell rings. Sure this was just a random attack! Nothing before or since!

As a separate instance SGT Taplow arranged for the front of the rear driver side wheel arch to be re-spayed as there was excessive chipping. Perhaps as Fiat main office is just down the road in Slough, this helped?

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you still have warranty, go argue (politely) down your local main dealer. Helps to do it on a Saturday when the showroom has a few other people in it; though I didn't have to resort to that tactic thankfully :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts