Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flush with confidence after yesterdays successful changing of my front wishbone and strut top mount and bearing, I decided to have a go at the rear trailing arm bearings :D

The Freaky one had assured me it was a doddle, so in I charged.... :eek:

Well it would have been a doddle had the bolts not seized solid in the bearing sleeves :cheese: :rant:

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Pic 1: Having removed the bolt head, I realized I was going to have to remove the exhaust and petrol tank, to go any further.

Pic 2 & 3: The tank and exhaust removed.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With the tank removed I realized it would be a simple matter to remove the whole subframe, take it into the garage and get the grinder and the drill out :eek:

Pic 1: Subframe removed.

Pic 2: Trailing arm removed.

Pic 3: Thats a bearing believe it or not!

Pic 4: Pressing out the rusty bearing.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Nooooooooooooo you don`t remove the tank etc etc :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You either heat the wishbone and sleeve and bray the bolts out or you you cut the inner thread and off with the oxy bottles and lever the arm out :rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why remove the head :confused: Surely taking the other end of would have allowed you to pull it out....or am I missing somet (apart from the difficulty of getting at the nut).

Presume it all worked out in the end? Did you have fun putting the bearing caps back on :rolleyes: I used a large sash clamp in the end :D

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Ah i see your bearings looked like mine :eek:

You dont need to press em out just knock em out with a long bar/chisel ;)

Shoulda give us a call for some advice ................had the same thing on a Tipo i did just got rough with it :p :D :D

Btw i see you got a good collection of hammers at hand :p

Told yer i could see the back wheels moving when i was following yer at Keswick :eek:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After six years in Inverness there was no way on God's earth that the bolt was gona drift out. Anyway while doing this I noticed that the subframe bushes where somewhat perished. As the tank is only held on with four bolts...

Also burning off bolts one inch away from a plastic petrol tank seemed somewhat hazardous ;)

With the subframe removed it took 15mins to grind either end smooth, drill it out so it cleared the subframe and out the arm came.

I've still got to remove the other arm, drill and retap the anti-roll bar bolts that sheered etc etc :rolleyes:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyway,

I hadn't intended doing any of this, however I let the kids play with my tools while I was having a short nap and the pulled the car to bits :eek:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
colingtv6 said:
Also burning off bolts one inch away from a plastic petrol tank seemed somewhat hazardous ;)
Those things are bloody strong things and can stand some punishment :D I`ve seen a plastic tank thats been dragged behind the car for 20 miles and still not leak ;) :eek:

It`ll be like a new car when you`ve finished ...............you`ll have to re-learn how to drive it properly :p :p

Btw yer can see by the tyre wear how bad they were :rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm confused....why did you have to remove the spacesaver? Won't your axle stands take the weight with it in the boot :p :)

wrinx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, one of them is down to the canvas on one side and got 5-6 mm left on t'other.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wrinx said:
I'm confused....why did you have to remove the spacesaver? Won't your axle stands take the weight with it in the boot :p :)

wrinx
Nah, I had the spacesaver bolted on behind the NS alloy togive extra grip going round roundabouts :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
colingtv6 said:
Nah, I had the spacesaver bolted on behind the NS alloy togive extra grip going round roundabouts :D
Would that be John Deere style .....................sure you were`nt doing a spot of moonlight farming :p :cheese:

·
Banned
790 Posts
My question is when will I have my car back to drive? :(

two kids school holidays ect ect

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
speed freak said:
Would that be John Deere style .....................sure you were`nt doing a spot of moonlight farming :p :cheese:

Shhhhh! Q's online :eek:

Errrr, eeerrrr what?
Yes dear, should have it done in the next couple of weeks :)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
If its school hols why do yer need the car :confused: They got legs avent they :rolleyes:

Or yer could get a Bus :p :p or Jog everywhere :p :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Ah yes, the trailing arms... In my day, I couldn't get new bushes... :rolleyes: so I did the drum to disk upgrade instead...
Those bolts seize up tight. We heated it for 10 mins and couldn't get it to budge.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=12554

It's some job to do... but worth it. The car will feel precise on bumps and corners afterwards.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So if these trailing arm bushes or whatever are worn, does that make the rear tires wear oddly ?, my v6 wears the innner inch of the tires away, mind you they are proxes which are known for wearing funny.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
That's also a symptom on my 146 at the moment.
I see to have odd camber on it. The wheel seems to lean out at the top. Is this something anyone else has seen, or is it normally out at the bottom?
The car may have been in an accident before I got it, the coating of glass in the interior gives that away... :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no way should it lean out at the top... something is well wrong on that corner.

if you grab the top of that wheel... is there any play when you push/pull back and forward? this would also indicate worn bushes (is this right yeah?)

j

1 - 20 of 27 Posts