Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 156 and the sump treads were striped at the last oil change i heard there is a few solutions to this problem it was posted some where that you can buy a bolt with a differnt angle of threads that will work can some one confirm this and provide details. The leaking is getting worse and need a solution asap holding out on bringing to a dealer as i will need to sit in traffic for 2 hrs to get to them and my fan is gone so i have visions of over heating and breaking down on the way. also is heli-coiling and tapping the same thing.

any help appriciated
thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Helicoiling is the answer. How this works is that a special tap is used to enlarge the hole and cut a thread, a wire coil is then wound into the new thread and this coil then works as the thread for the original bolt.

Any half decent engine workshop will have much more experience of doing this than your dealer. In fact the dealer may well farm the work out to an engineer and chrge you extra for the privelidge.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I believe Alfashop in Norwich will sell a tapered plug - that might sort it out. I ended up helicoiling the one on my wife's 156 though. I now use a "Dowty" washer on it from my local hydraulics supplier - about 50p for a couple. They have a built-in sybthetic rubber seal whichmeans you don't have to do them up at all tight and they still seal. The originals seem very easy to strip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts