Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive found my first problem with my new car!
has any of you had trouble with the sump threads when changing your iol on the 155 2.0 16v?
ive just changed the iol on my car and the threads are just about knackered.. the plug threads are ok. i dont know if its the person whos changed the oil last time who's f**ked it up or is it a common problem?
ive managed to bodge it up with some PTF tape untill the next time i change the iol and then i think it will need retapping! frown

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Deano

Afraid this is a common problem, mine was knackered by the dealer!!

Jimybob has cured this by drilling and retapping, but I'll let him give you the full details.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok then no drilling needed get a 3/4 unf tap(you will need to borrow this as they are £60)and tap it out then you need to get a 3/4 plug i had mine made by a local engineer and only cost£5 thats it realy unless you want a new sump at £170..i have found the 3/4 unf plug works very well and doesnt leak.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks wrinx & jimybob.
sounds simple enough.
i should be able to get a 3/4 unf tap from work and ill get one of the fitters from work to make me a plug so it should'nt cost me a dime :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had trouble with my thread and found that it was not catching the last threads on the sump plug, ie just turning. Thought the thread was knackered and solved the problem by putting 2 copper washers on it, now works fine no leaks (touch wood) and can feel a bit of tension when i tighten it up, being careful not to over tighten it. It may work with yours, worth a try.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine was knackered by the (previous) dealer also. My current dealer put in an oversize plug when they repaired the damage caused by the balance shaft tensioner exploding ( which happended because the previous dealer didn't tell me the car hadn't had the new style tensioners etc fitted).
Seems like this is quite common, as oversize drain plugs and washers are listed in the alfa parts lists. The guy usually doesn't even have to look up the numbers...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts