Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there just did oil and filter change on 146 found the groves on sump where the sump plug screws in are broken, i was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this without changing the whole sump.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
You can either go the route of retaping it and fiting a larger diameter plug of tap it with a smaller thread and fit a helicoil insert, I'd go for the first option as that will garentee a seal afterwards.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
re tap the hole and fit a larger bit. use an 8 1/2 ml drill bit for an m10 bolt for example. a taping bit will set you back about 15 quid. just be carefull not to break it in the sump. use a hand tapping tool instead of a drill and use plenty of tapping fluid.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Hi,

You shouldn't have any problem drilling and re-tapping it............. A couple of words of advice if I may...........

First, if you can, take the sump off the car and work on a bench.......... Don't try to do it in situe......... you'll have more room....... wont be working upside down......... less likely to sod it up, by getting swarf inside the sump........ and the extra time and effort of taking it off will be worth it.

Before you drill anything make sure you have the "Larger sump plug and you know what thread it is....... sixe and is it fine or coarse thread............... Then get the right size Tap and the right size drill for the tap. The chart on the link below will help with that.......

Engineering Supplies - Tapping Drill Sizes

Finally make sure you drill the hole straight, and tap it with plenty of "tapping paste" ......... go off at an angle and it'll never seal.

Enjoy!

Cheers to All
Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts