Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well..tried to drain my oil the other day and can't undo the bloody sump plug.. No damage to the plug itself, just will not shift..it been soaked in wd and still won't budge..tapped it lightly and still no joy.. Dont want to knacker sump so any help on removal of oil or plug appreciated..

Just for the record, Ali and steel dont go together due to a chemical reaction, so an Ali plug would be better, does anybody do them????
99 phase2 gtv.

Cheers.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Aluminium threads, both male and female are subject to failure. Quality aluminium alloys are better at withstanding torque loadings. No problem with her indoors sump plug which is a steel type with a copper washer to seal it.

With the 147 we owned I obtained the later type steel sump plug, with the appropriate Dowty type washer, I had no further problems when draining the oil for service, over a four year period.

I am always most fastidious about torque settings to ensure longevity of all tapped threads.

Once you have removed the existing drain plug, best to fit the later version with the 'Dowty' type washer would be the preferred route to go. Good Luck. :):

·
Registered
919 Posts
Have you tried some heat with a blow torch. Just the plumbers type you can get from the local DIY shop should do it. As steel & ally expend at different rates it can work quite well.

Ditto on the torque settings, people over tighter sump plugs all the time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't break the seal on the existing plug,,,dont want to exert too much pressure and crack the sump...

So I'm a bit stuck at the moment(no pun intended)..

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Perhaps I should elaborate, expand, on my limited experience with our 147's original sump plug?

The barsteward was totally fest, and the hexagon itself was pretty mangled up too. iirc I moved it eventually with the shock treatment, so I was fortunate in this respect I guess.

What type of hexagon has yours? Internal or external? ie Do you require a socket, ring spanner or a hexagon socket key aka. Allen type?

The heat dissipated when a flame is played on an aluminium alloy often has little or no effect, but is worth a try I guess. A trial and error situation, but I feel sure you will sort it eventually. :):

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Sometimes you have to use a bit more force than you think you should, wonder if it has had loctite put on the thread..

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
It must be bloody tight if you can't undo it. Personally I would just go for it but a bit oh heat might help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your suggestions,, I have the Allen key type nut on mine..the nut itself is in good condition,no damage and takes a key tightly...I will try again next weekend, with some heat on it,as I am now about to drop the oil in engine/gearbox on my fiat, as I am working away in bristol, so will only get to it now next week..I will use the fiat as a trail run today and see how it goes...same set up with Allen key bolts on engine/gearbox...I will update this thread with the results later today..thanks people...suggestions are still welcome, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right peeps,, just done the fiats gearbox and engine oils, decided to go and buy a socket Allen head instead of struggling with 9inch Allen keys,, job done and dusted in 1 hour..left both boxes to drain for 45 minutes then fitted new filter and topped oils up..job done..
Decided on the socket for more leverage, cracked them off no problem.

Hope the same goes for the gtv next weekend..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts