Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the weekend removing the bolts and attachments from the sump, dip stick drive shaft attachment, engine support, turbo oil return pipe etc. After filling swear jar I finally managed to loosen the two that are hidden up beside gearbox. Thought all i need do was hammer and piece of wood or rubber mallet and it would be free?

It hasn't freed and hasn't budged an inch, tried getting a putty knife in to open it up but can't get anything in there. Has anyone had similar experience or know a good way/tool I need to free it from engine block as it appears welded.

* All bolts have been removed, I have triple checked.
** Tried heat with a brazing torch but it's still welded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are certain all the bolts are out try a thin splitting chisel between the sump and block being very careful. I know on se of the big engines I do we need a block of wood and a lot of violence, I always think I'll crack the sump but it comes off.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I needed to force a scraper into the joint and slowly work it along a few inches before it eventually popped apart. Very strong stuff that gasket compound.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brute force it will be then, I will not be so shy with it this time around. :)

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to update, brute force did the trick, used a big hammer and a piece of wood and had three half decent whacks and it just opened up at the sealing face, a putty whatchamacallit in and it was free in seconds.

The issue now is I appear to have to remove subframe to get it off. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to update, brute force did the trick, used a big hammer and a piece of wood and had three half decent whacks and it just opened up at the sealing face, a putty whatchamacallit in and it was free in seconds.

Sometimes all you need is a bigger hammer

·
Registered
2,786 Posts

rather than completely removing the frame try slackening bolts off and lowering it down,you may have to lower sump enough to get hand in and disconnect the pick up pipe to fully remove sump. If you can avoid taking frame completely off then I would if I was you

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Johnny, that was what I ended up doing, I removed all bolts on drivers side/belt side and couldn't get it off the engine by the pick-up pipe. So, I just removed the pickup pipe and off it came.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got round to examining the sump and removed the inner plate to see what lay beneath?

Was surprised to find very little in the way of stray metal bits but found these two bits of hard plastic lying right at the bottom of the sump. Do any of you guys know what they are from and should I be alarmed?
IMG_20200629_214024.jpg

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
As the item is plastic it has probably been caused from years of heating and cooling cycles plus being submerged in oil. The plastic will have gone brittle. Or when sump was manoeuvred out it was caught?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts