Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear moderators and fellow members,

As there have been a number of issues of late in this section, might I suggest that this thread be used to make suggestions that could improve this section through modifications to the legislation governing it ( the rules).

As all will know, there is a dedicated section for site announcements from the management and then comment on and of those announcements. The section is bare and unvisited. therefore it isn't really working. There isn't a place for suggestions from members. At least none I can find.

I shall take the liberty of starting if I may.

1) This section deviates from the prescribed, regulated structure more than most due to low numbers of owners I assume, may I suggest an extension to the latitude allowed within threads. Maybe to include asides and parallel content streams being allowed? In the same way that repeated requests for a per section for sale section resulted in a per section for sale section. The rules can be modified if the members are persistent enough.

2) A whole forum issue, but an unanswered question none the less, so I may as well. Please could we be allowed to know why the tapatalk mobile application was dropped by AO and replaced with the universally derided Autoguide? This question has been asked all over these forums and nobody in management has offered an explanation.

Anyone else have any thoughts in improvements this section would benefit from?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
I do think a bit more leniency would be handy, in particular for the GTA lounge as it is more of an all-round home for GTA owners rather than purely for technical issues. In the same way as the Mito/Giulietta lounges are, where a lot of threads are started because "I've just ordered a new Mito/G", "I've just sold/traded in my Mito/G so goodbye", various news, rumour & spy-shots about model changes, optional extras etc. Not a lot of it is genuine technical queries. It wouldn't be really as most of them are only a few years old.

Oh, and IBTL :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's idiotic.

It's not necessary to be so inflexible.

Most of the mods don't seem to have a clue when it comes to technical issues and they just hide behind the rule book rather than using a bit of common sense and judgement.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My thoughts:

1. I want to enjoy the forum, not tippy toe around wondering how to stay on the right side of the mods (prefects?)

2. I have been a member for 10 years and am a grown up.

3. I have had Alfa's all my adult life.

4. I really want one forum and section to be a good place to visit and catch up on what other people (friends?) are doing with their cars. I have 3 Alfa's at present and the 'fleet' changes occasionally.

5. I don't really want to see the forum / section become a sales related forum with people (complete strangers) selling stuff for profit or stuff that is in anyway substandard.

6. I really can't object to the odd person selling their car, MAF, wheels etc without me having to go to another section of the forum to find out about it. There are times when someone selling the odd bit, is actually helping out someone who is looking for such an item - at the same time encouraging discussion about an item / component. I only look in the sale section occasionally as it is not mainstream for me. When I get there I am not allowed to make a passing observation on what I see there, as is it is only supposed to be the item for sale alone. Clearly when people do put the odd item up for sale, it does attract some interesting technical debate / discussion. In fairness even the mods seemed to confuse themselves recently when an item for sale got moved to the FOR SALE section, only to include then some technical discussion, I guess then a small degree of panic set in and all the technical stuff had to be deleted! Potentially valuable information for other members now lost. How can you discuss the technicalities (benefits / flaws) of an item for sale if they have to be mutually exclusive.

So...... in support of this thread I would ask for a bit more sensible leniency.

In that:

1. the odd for sale item really doesn't harm anyone. After all you can see the header and you are not forced to click it.

2. By all means moderate inappropriate items (including inappropriate items for sale) a bit like mods used to do. Remember you're not a policeman.

3. Treat grown up members with a bit of respect. By just deleting, closing, editing threads and your actions being final becomes somewhat frustrating, in what is a pretty limited attendance section of the overall forum. There are not many GTA owners or others interested - so a bit of latitude - PLEASE.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Personally I do see the GTA section as a home for all GTA related things as pud mentioned. Regardless of what's being asked or mentioned if its GTA I'm looking here's where I am! Don't understand why it can't be that way?

Due to this threads own rules it is not for chat. therefore anything else is deleted.
Just took the above snippet from the painter girl closed thread as what the moderator said. So 'chat' is not allowed??

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
This has been round & round but I'm sorry to say that you're ****ing in the wind if you expect change:(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
And now moved to the back and beyond where it will be impossible to find.

Stifling discussion?

Scared of the opinions of others?

Inflexible?

Lacking forward thinking and ability to accept the views, needs and desires of the user base?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Funny how a forum that I assume depends upon the visitors for revenue (eye for the adverts) treats them with such disdain.

I also don't understand this "tech only, no chat" policy yet so many other threads don't follow this policy and remain, including the sticky GTA roadwatch thread.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd have hoped for a more flexible and pragmatic attitude from the moderators on matters like these.

The forum does not merely consist of members; the forum is its members. Mods are in a unique position to gauge the feeling of the membership and should be at the forefront of driving changes in response to the way the membership wants the site to develop. This has never really been the case on AO, right back to when I joined (2006).

It's a pretty negative approach to enforce the rules in the way they have in the case of edward's thread. As SR says, we've been here over and again before but always the same intransigent responses and a blind adherence to the party line. If allowing more flexibility in the model lounges would entail more work for the moderators (and yes I've heard more than once about how hard the job is, how many hours it takes and all for no remuneration), then appoint more moderators to share the workload.

I've yet to hear a good case for the site not to respond to the needs and wishes of its members.

·
Registered
37,599 Posts
Do we have a disconnect between;

Tyreforums and their approach to making money
The Mod team and their belief that they are following Ian's old "family friendly" line
The Alfa drivers and enthusiasts who don't seem to be getting quite what they want

It's all a bit sad really...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I shall add a response to a comment left by a Moderator to another thread as an illustration of some of the problems this forum has.

This was left in response to a thread in the Rant Room about a member leaving the forum

I can't link to it directly as I am saddled with AutoGuide.

QUOTE BEGINS:
It saddens me to read this.

I - and all of my fellow moderators try really hard to keep things fair and reasonable according to the rules. We have no hidden agenda. To accuse us of being Talibanesque is really beyond reason and tbh quite insulting. None of us have Napoleon complexes. As I say all we are trying to do is keep the site going in the way it was originally intended.

For sure some will think the site rules are petty and should be changed but, until they are we (mods) will apply them.

Anyone with problems with any of our decisions are welcome to contact either us or admin and I am sure that our responses will be reasonable and cogent - even if sometimes disappointing to individual members.

One thing that will not happen is a free for all discussion on an open thread about individual decisions (such as this). For that reason alone I am closing this thread.

I am sorry you feel like this neilied - it saddens me that we cannot come to an agreement with a member of such long standing.

QUOTE ENDS.

Now, as the thread was closed after a moderator had an opportunity to leave their side, but no opportunity for response was possible, I shall take a moment to clear things up and use this as an illustration of the issues.

I said the moderators fall back on the rule book as a reason for making changes without entering into discussions about changing their rules. I then likened this to the Talibans views on education for women. In that, they (The Taliban and many other extremist groups) hide behind the 'Rules' handed down from on high to justify decisions that are made which the general public would rather not see, nor support.

The point of keeping the forum as originally intended is equally vexing. The forum has been sold off. The original owner bugged out. In the same way that a new owner of a real business stamps their own mark, by going out and listening to the needs of the customer, so should this forum. The new administration should look at the wants and needs of the users, the people that make a forum and work to develop in light of the desires of the customer base. If Ford had stuck with the model T just because it was easy to make and not listened to the needs of the buyers. They wouldn't have lasted long.

Finally, the habit of commenting, often in a tone that appears to be lambasting, telling off etc the other contributors to the thread and then closing it, is t the way forums are meant to be. A forum is an open arena for all comments. The thread I question had not breached any rules, but had been shut down.

It is time the owners and moderators started to listen!

PS, I have never contacted a moderator or administrator on any forum privately. A forum should not be private. It's all in the name - Forum - A public place for discussion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
To be fair the GTA lounge is treated like a chatroom for an elitist few who rarely venture into other area's of the forum. I should know I used to be one. :)

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
To be fair the GTA lounge is treated like a chatroom for an elitist few who rarely venture into other area's of the forum. I should know I used to be one. :)
We're only elitist because we know GTAs are the best Alfas of all. :D

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
I bet you don't, having seen some of them. Your one was a particularly expensive example though, it was just plain bad luck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts