Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im thinking about putting a cold air intake onto my 145 any suggestions how and what not 2 do ?

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I set up a cold air feed in my 155 (standard airbox and filter) to pressurise the airbox, rather than to keep the intake cool. It makes a miniscule amount of difference at high speed.. :thumbs: but really it was for my own amusement.

I put the inlet (3") behind the '55s fake bumper vent (next to the foglamp). Dunno where I'd stick it on the '45.. maybe in the bottom radiator slot..?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how was it once you set it up ? i must admit it would be for my own amusement too, i have it planned out in my head but just puzzled on one thing really. thats that wen im sat still will it overheat ? i would take the foglamp out i think and put it through there trial and error i spose :) do you have any pics of yours ? thanks

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I used a piece of that aluminium duct tubing stuff that they sell in Halfords, since it contains a wire spiral .. so once you've bent it into position it stays more or less where you put it.

One end was attached to a stub of plastic tube (I think it was a bit of drain pipe :D) so I could screw that to the inner floor of the bumper to keep it in place).. the other end was just tucked into the airbox inlet trumpet.

It doesn't overheat since as far as the airbox knows, there's nothing in the way. It sucks in air as normal .. the tube is a loose fit in the trumpet and the other end vents to the atmosphere, after all.

At high speed air gets stuffed into the pipe and then delivered to the airbox at a higher speed (more "compressed" ) than if it was just sucking air from behind the headlamp.. so you notice a slight ramming effect (I think! :D)

I'll see if I can get a photo.. but basically it is a rigid tube tapped to the inner bumper, alu' duct to the airbox.. all held in place by it's own rigiditiy and the odd cable tie where it passes close to a bracket or something that doesn't get hot.. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh wiked youve said pretty much what i was thinking about doing, but with few different ideas. your way makes more sence to be honest. ahh well trial and error and keep me busy 4 half a day :) yeh if you could sort a pic out that would be gd. one of my worrys was the overheating issue ill try it and tweak where needed i spose thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts