Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm driving home on the york ring road (NSL), and i've got this car quite close behind me.

i come to a roundabout, and decide to put some distance between him and me when coming off it. so i hoof it off the roundabout. 2nd gear, foot down, off the roundabout and glance behind me and the whole of his car is engulfed in white smoke!

water temp just over 70, oil temp on second bar on infocentre, car behaving perfectly, no loss of power, no lumpiness, nothing abnormal.

i decide to test it at the next roundabout, see if it happens again.

again, 2nd gear, hoofed it, looked behind, nothing. no smoke.

what's this about?

i know the car needs an "Italian Tune Up" as i don't get it above 4k rpm much, but could that blast of smoke actually be steam?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, ok. seems to do this the first time i boot it on a drive, from warm, in 2nd or 3rd gear while moving (off a roundabout for example) although it won't do this the second time i boot it, doesnt do it from standstill, no obvious coolant loss, not blue smoke so guessing no "extra" oil loss.

puzzled!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Think you only need to worry if you have blue smoke or you are leaving a thick cloud of smog everywhere you go. Agree sounds like a little bit of water which is probably more down to it being a bit cooler in recent weeks

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It probably is just condensation, but if it were me, I'd be inclined to get my head gasket checked. I am paranoid about these things though.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
how would i get that checked?

not saying it's impossible, but if it was the gasket going would it not occur every time i gave it some beans?
Possibly, you'd need a build up to create the smoke/steam, which might just get evaporated when the engine and exhaust are hot. As to how you check, I take it to the garage and ask them to have a look. I think they either use a thingy to see if there are any exhaust gasses in the header tank, or use another thingy to see if it loses pressure. I am no mechanic!

As you say though, you have no coolant or oil loss, so probably nothing to worry about. The only reason I suggest it is because mine's never done that and there seem to be a lot of head gasket failures recently.

·
Vendor
45,840 Posts
Compression tester - bit of a nightmare to compression test the back bank on a V6. Or a sniff tester to test the coolant for prescence of hydrocarbons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts