Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My sud is rebiuld and re sprayed, it looks great except my old Ti body kit and the spoiler and grill need a bit of tlc to bring them back to black. any ideas?
thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've used some different black bumper sprays recently.
If it's a shiny black satin finish you want Hycote's Bumper & Trim paint is great at looking like new plastic.
If it has a deeper texture then Halfrauds do some bumper paint that's less shiny. See the Alfa bumper where I have posted the Halfrauds photo.

Preparation is key. You need to absolutely ruin the finish of the plastic first with scouring cream and a scouring pad. Any Back to Black residue will cause flaking etc.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
When I bought my MG the bumpers were badly faded, however, 21 years of liberally applying turtle was and Simoniz back to black stuff hasbrought them up a treat :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lad's will have a go at that!
cheers

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Also try that tyre-wall shine spray sold in Halfords. It's a bit oily to start with but over time it will make your black stuff look like new.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
175 Posts
if you paint it use a proper plastic etch primer

if you do what bodger said, with a lot of work it can look very good as per photo (but sort of fake looking in my mind) . its also possible to ruin the plastics if you do a poor job. also whats it going to look like as it ages

if you do what garry said ,it can have that good condition original look. and a lot easier too

on my car the prevous owner did a bad job and the paint peeled. in the end i sourced new plastics and just apply protector

i think it depends on wether you want it to look "hot" now or age well over time

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My bumper job was done a year ago and the remarks from a lot of people at the time were just the same as yours (i.e. don't do it) but a year later it looks just as good and hasn't cracked or flaked at all.
I also had the reason that one of the bumpers was scratched and discoloured.
I agree there's no point trying to paint anything if you don't prepare properly. It will look worse.

I also agree with you about not doing it.
Originality is important so if Back to Black does the job there's no point getting the paint out.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Two or three coats of back to black should make a difference :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts