Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to give my BMC panel filter a clean. It's been in the airbox since the mid/end of last August.
Anyway, took it out and it looked crammed with filth. So I gave it a battering to loosen the crud and collected it in a tray. Decided to weigh the stuff to see how much dirt had collected (I work in a lab so have access to many balances).
27.83g !!!!!
That is a lot of dead flies and muck !!!

The Alfa must really suck hard or we have dirty roads here.

Just thought I'd tell you as now the car feels all smooth again and the flat spot just above idle has almost dissapeared. So maybe check/clean your filter more often ??? I know I will.

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
how bored where you at work today then..???

weighing dirt...... eek! eek!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which brings me to a question I've wondered about for a while. I have a Ram-air panel filter, whats the best way to clean it? Never had one before :rolleyes:

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JB....VERY !!!

Wrinx, I believe you're supposed to blast them with compressed air, although a good sound slapping against the deck will remove most of the crud. You may need to re-oil the filter depending on type.

Marlon

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should get hold of filter cleaning fluid and filter oil; soak it in the cleaning fluid and then rinse it in clean water, do NOT use petrol as many do since this may damage the filter. Also, don't soak it in oil, just lighly coat it with a fine film. I got my "fluids" (no pun intended) from Italy so I'm not sure where you may be able to get hold of them over here. Try bike catalogues since they are always fitted with foam filters.

Taz.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Taz, how often should it be done, every 6months or so?

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good old halfords sell the K&N refurb kit.. it cleaner & oil. It's probably worth doing every 6 months or so depending on road conditions.. don't forget some of them are designed so the oil traps the dirt to aid the filtration (I guess they plan for the difference in flow!)

A

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are all filters oiled though ???
I'm not sure the BMC one I have is.
K&N's are and they're all greasy - yuck !!!

Wrinx, F2G is right, you get re-oiling kits in Halfords. You might also get them in your local Ned Nova shop and from places like Demon Tweeks.

Marlon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts