heads off
bad bit is i cracked a a tappet
comments would be great thanx alfio

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guys do my valves looked stuffedddd? cause my mechanic says i had bad psi on left heads and thats why my car started stuttering in low rpm but they look okay or am i wrong ???

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks chris ... if i get water in my piston is that bad because i want to gurneyyy the bloc and water might enter through the pistons

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
They don't look bad to me - the only slight query would be the pic 3 of 5 where the exhaust valve is darker possibly running cooler due to poorer combustion??
What do you mean "Gurneyyy the block" is that pressure washing? You don't want to get water into the crankcase!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
They don't look bad to me - the only slight query would be the pic 3 of 5 where the exhaust valve is darker possibly running cooler due to poorer combustion??
What do you mean "Gurneyyy the block" is that pressure washing? You don't want to get water into the crankcase!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeh i was going to presure wash it ... instead what could i do to clean the block .....
when i drive at low rpm my car starts to stutter on the left side is it cause of my valves preferberly my exhaust valves
is it possible
apparently thats what my mechanic reckons thats why iv ripped my heads off

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice one, not too sure about pressure washing, water might get into the bores and behind the pistons, not the best. Just use tons of degreaser on your neighbours front lawn :thumbs: and a wire brush. Then wash all over with kitchen detergent. Kerosene or petrol also cleans things really well. Then get some paint onto that block and sump to make her glossy!

I reckon your valves look fine, they're probably pitted as all heck where they seal on the seat. You can test them by pouring some petrol down the intake and see if it leaks, do the same with the exhaust, gives you an idea of how bad the seal is. I'd say your webers werent set up right at all causing your stutter. Maybe run a hotter plug too, lots of carbon build up in there and very black.

Just order new tappets, if you can replace all of them. Try the spare place, or turin imports both in adelaide or ebay.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if it leaks then is that why im losing compresiion???
im getting my engineer who will machine the heads to get new tappets
i had my mechanic set my carbys up and hoist them and all if he didnt do it properly id really love to throw my webbers at his face haha charged me 800 the *******

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ill try the petrol leaks on the heads to see if it goes throught the seals and ill clean my block with petrol needs a really good scrub so much build up of grease and oils oer the last 24 yrss

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Yes if the valves are leaking then that would cause a low compression reading.
The other reason is if the piston rings/bores are worn or if the head gasket is leaking - but there would be a burn mark around the seal surface on the heads and or cylinder top face and yours appear to be ok. What exactly is the "machining on your heads" that your engineer is planning to do??

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
heyy alfasixnut my machining on the heads is just shaving the heads new tappets new valves and guides etc
i hope my block is fine if its not my heads that cause my problem at low rpm
would you know any other reason why my car would stutter at low rpm

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey john
my carbys have beeen overhauled new gaskets cleaned
...have u ever heard of anyone having this problem ?? low rpm car struggles and stutters high rpm the car drives like a dream....

could the carbys also be why i have alot of carbon build up

·
Registered
20 Posts
What spark plugs are you running? You could have a too cold plug causing a stutter at low revs due to carbon fouling. I use NGK BPR5's (BPR6 is recommended, but carby engines run rich so hotter is fine).

Looks to me like your carbs are over fuelling quite heavily. I think they need to be synchronised (the the throttle linkage that is) and then tuned correctly (air and mixture screws adjusted). Presumably you are running webers, which are only adjustable for the 'idle circuit' which you use just cruising along up to about 3 - 3500rpm. So the symptoms you describe are pointing towrds that. I think you should be questioning what you paid $800 bucks for...

With only your block left whole, I would be tempted to do a full rebuild of the bottom end too...

Keep up the good work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts