Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Subframe rot

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  147Harry 
#1 ·
Hi all,I have a 2007 brera in ace condition.so I thought until I discovered a rot hole in the front subframe.So I’m after advice here,do I go all out with brand new or do I go for a reconditioned frame?

#3 ·
I had mine off and gave it to a metal worker locally who cut out the bad and welded in some new steel. Once repaired gave it a good clean and paint.

saved a few quid doing it that way,was few years back but seem to recall total cost was £150 but I did save on labour as I removed and refitted frame myself

#4 ·
Ive bought 159s to strip and i had one which had a patch crudely placed on the outside of the frame and the receipt costing £125.
I removed a frame from another which had a hole in the frame and asked a local welder to patch, and he collected the frame, cut out 6inch x 3.5inch and patched seemlessly and that cost £30.

#5 ·
An exposed patch "should"...(but often doesn't to be honest ) fail an MOT...so make sure the patch is cut in and fitted flush with the surface, welds ground flat and painted over to conceal the repair to avoid test time issues!!

#8 ·
just had to change the exhaust flexi so thought I'd take a pic, I think you'll all agree that, that's some spectacular welding right there which you don't come across very ofter.
That's a Get through it's Mot repair and charge the earth

£120 that cost, but not by me I hasen to add, the car was bought to be a scrapped but running
it till its mot runs out next month.

#11 ·
I would get another frame, not just put the tray back on. That looks like a rubbish bit of welding that probably isn't anywhere near strong enough.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you safety could depend on it.

#12 ·
I would get that properly fixed....but I dont see it as much of a safety issue to be honest. Ive seen one or two that had more holes than Swiss cheese....never heard of one failing structurally though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.