Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Subaru Legacy

Tags
legacy subaru
1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  eL-ZilCHo! 
#1 ·
Hey gang, i spent three hours as a very comfortable passenger in a 2008 unmodified Subaru Legacy estate yesterday. It was a 3.0 litre, flat six, normally aspirated auto. It went like a rocket, sounded excellent, rode very well (firm, but offset by the long wheelbase...but i think the damping could be a wee bit tighter). Extremely stable in the wet and wind, too. Loved the integrated sat-nav, too. Not much wind noise, or wind whistle given the frameless doors...i liked it a lot.

Really nice, competent piece of kit that (even from a passenger's POV; fun too, the way it went and sounded :thumbs:).

Hmm, wonder what they're worth?

#2 ·
I haven't driven one, but gave it serious thought when the current model came out. Interesting car but (I felt) lacked a bit of character.

#3 ·
I swapped my Legacy 3.0l for my present 159. Like chalk and cheese. The Legacy is a very competent car but does lack character and the quality of the plastics in the interior is poor although very well finished off. Unfortunately, the after sales service was very poor here and Subaru Australia refused to skim the front discs after only 26000kms and the car was still under the Subaru warranty.

It does handle well though and the 3.0l boxer engine is great.

Wouldn't now swap my Alfa for it though:D

#6 ·
love them...and the old gtb twin turbo estates..proper quick.....there is something about the noise ALL horizontally opposed engines make, from porsches down to old air cooled beetles....lovely chunter....i never tire of hearing my subarus engine..its the 'noughties' version of us oldies v8 rumble...

#9 ·
Not an uncommon tale nowadays, unfortunately. I spent 10 years in various Subarus, the early ones were brilliant, the later ones, well, suffice to say I wouldn't recommend them in a fit.

Have a look at the warranty direct site - something like 30% of Subaru claims are major engine issues. The 6's suffer bearing failure, the 4's excessive oil use and piston slap (which renders the car unsaleable, as it sounds like big-end bearing failure).

Fuel consumption in the 6's (esp. the excessively short-geared manual) is very ordinary in the city - lineball with a V8. They are pretty frugal on the highway, though.

We ran 2.5 Legacy and 2.0TS 147 for the same 5 year period and the Subaru cost significantly more in maintenance and running costs and had many more warranty claims (from memory ~5 to 2).

To summarise, IMO Subaru is trading on past reputation in regards to their engineering. Avoid.

#10 ·
My dads got an Outback. Not the 3.0 litre one but the 2.5, he really likes it. Its a bit of a work horse, he does a crap load of miles and it hasn't put a foot wrong. Its a bit of a trooper really.

Interiors a bit plasticky (but it is well put together) and the auto box is bit mental but it is a decent drive. Its no sports car but it's a decent cruiser.

Not cheap to run, but I don't think he gives a monkeys.

A bit overlooked I think, its a good car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.