Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering whether you can put a subaru impreza engine in an alfa 33 without cutting too much of the bodywork out.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I shouldn't think so. The engine is taller and longer than the Alfa unit. Try asking Neil Yates at Adrenaline Motorsport as they adapted the Minari kit car to take the Subaru unit (The Murtaya). Adrenaline have a website with their contact details.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
There is a guy down in south Wales who is converting his P4 rallycar to take Impreza engine and drivetrain. Have a look on slightly technical alfa 33 site at Rich B posts.

rsfruitbat

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
yeah I'm pretty sure i've heard someone mentioning it before..

fluffyduff off here i think it was.. can't remember whether he was joking or not at the time though

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
yeah I'm pretty sure i've heard someone mentioning it before..

fluffyduff off here i think it was.. can't remember whether he was joking or not at the time though
I was joking/wishing. Would love to have full Subaru running gear under a 33 shell though. Just to be different.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
I don't think there would be enough width between the front chassis rails for the engine.
or enough space for the gearbox

wouldn't be an easy job.

Be a lot simpler and cheaper to just buy a 90's Impreza and drive that!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've just fitted subaru sti engine. There is enough space for engine, but not enough for gearbox :)

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
I've just fitted subaru sti engine. There is enough space for engine, but not enough for gearbox :)
How are you getting the drive to the wheels without a gearbox?

:lol:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I must be missing something here - isn't putting a Japanese engine in an Italian body a bit like the Arna - in reverse?

I know its a pity that Alfa didn't develop the boxer beyond 1.7 litres (I think a 24V flat-6 would have been a neat idea under the bonnet of a large luxury coupe :D), but I just can't get excited about the Scooby lump.

I suppose there is always the flat-6 1500 engine in the Honda Goldwing... :p

Lauren

·
Registered
316 Posts
hmm i think its a great idea as most alfas look fantastic but always miss out on power compared to similar machinery from other manufacurers ie gta M3. hence why after lots of developement i just cheated, but how many 700bhp alfa engines do you know? none but they so desrve it!!! My 75 should have been born with this much power!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
How are you getting the drive to the wheels without a gearbox?

:lol:
I mean that you don't need to cut anything to put subaru engine, but you need to cut gearbox place to put subarus gearbox in it ;] allready fitted engine with gearbox, now its time for rear suspension and drivetrain between gearbox and rear diff :) some photos comming soon.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
whats the chances of having a bell housing machined up to connect the alfa box to the subaru lump?
Thet would be a very very bad idea.
The std gearbox only just copes with a std 1.7 16v engine and they need serious work to cope with any more power.
It wouldn't last 5-minutes with a Subaru engine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
yeah went to get some bits off that guy in south wales who has just put an impreza turbo lump in his P4.I said to him it was somthing i was thinking of doing.He said don't bother.by the looks of it,it was very complex,its taken him a year.you have to use all of impreza drivetrain pklus hubs and suspension which means fabricating it all to fit the 33 plus bhe made up two custom sub frames.don't bother is the answer.unless you have unlimited resources for milling and turning or you have alot of money.Why bother when you can get the alfa block upto 250hp with no forced induction.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts