Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been off work for a while because of our 'use-it-or-lose-it' policy so today was the first time in a while I've had to drive in the morning.

I don't know about you but up here it was about -7°C in the morning and after deicing I got on the motorway and very quickly realised that the window washers weren't working. My guess is that since I've not changed the washer fluid it's still got the stuff Unity/Alfa put in which I am guessing is summer/all weather and doesn't work down to -7°C.

However, two things are funny....

1) I'm 99% sure the car is supposed to have heated washers, now I'm not sure if that means it's literally just the jets or the fluid itself is heated. As if its the former that's no use.

2) I expected it to at least warm up and the problem fix itself after a while but it never did. I drove over an hour so the engine was well and truly heated up. Outside temp ranged from about -2 to -7°C on the way however. And despite the oil temperature guage showing itself as warm even after the 60+ miles journey the bonnet still had a layer of frost on it!

Anyone have any thoughts? I'll probably stop by Halfords and get some winter screenwash at lunch, so long as the fluid has thawed out by now and I can dump some on the windscreen in the first place! That is assuming that's what the issue was and the heated part is working as intended.

·
Administrator
87,602 Posts
Does the heated rear window need to be switched on to activate the heated washer jets ? Check the Owner Manual

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
It's only the jets themselves that are heated, by a resistive element.
Normally the heated jets (and the outside mirror heating) is switched on when the rear heated window is switched on

·
Registered
241 Posts
Interesting, I was thinking of installing a Heat Shot system in my Giulia when I get it in March but then I found out the battery is in the boot so now I'm not so sure.:yikes:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Screenwash is mostly water with some additive that has a different freezing point, like alcohol. So you need to get that mixture right to avoid it freezing in the tank or lines.

However, at least for alcohol-based washes, when it reaches the boundary with the air at the jet, the alcohol evaporates and the remaining water freezes. Therefore you need that to be sufficiently heated too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same on Friday, rear window and wing mirrors would not defrost at all and my car is permanently attached to an Ctek MXS10 charger... so I doubt it's a low voltage battery issue...

I will get Alfa to replace the battery at the first service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts