Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been told my sub frame on my 156 is not in line, and car pulling to left. Anyone know if this is an easy thing to sort, and rough cost. Don't want to spend money at dealer just for dignostic.

·
Registered
38,457 Posts
The subframe cannot really be fitted out of line, as there is no adjustment on its fixings.

If it is out of line is is probably bent.

Its quite unlikely though. I take it you have checked the lower wishbone rubbers, as that is one of the most common causes of a car pulling to one side.

They don't last very long, in most cases they will be past their best over 70k miles or so.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Only last week we had a poster who's wheel alignment issues were caused by a misaligned subframe. Either its been bashed at some stage or if its been moved to replace the anti roll bar it might not have gone back correctly. Only needs to be a tiny bit out to give wierd problems. Can't find the other post right now but i don't think its a huge problem to fix (as long as its not bent!!)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
It would have to bashed pretty hard to move it so either it has been removed and refitted in the past (ARB or steering rack change) or it is bent.
Lower bushes would be the more likely issue though, and I have also seen lower wishbones that are aftermarket and with poorly fitted bushes which throw out the lower arm by a mile - so even if the bush isn't knackered, the arm might be out.
Incidentally, the subframe is located in place using locator pins (don't know the correct name) whilst it is bolted up. If someone has not used the locator pins and done it by eye then it could be a few mm out which translates to about a meter out when it gets to the edge of the wheel! (or at least it feels like it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts