Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as i got access to a hydrolic lift i was thinkling of doing the subframe in wax oil??

Or does any one have a better soutltion?

Rusted in parts (Not gone through) but a bit of preventation always good..

There is no unde tray

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Anything you can do would be an improvement - although if you're going to be warm and dry, and have a bit of time - you could look at wirebrushing the rusty spots - with frame in situ, and using some rust converter.

Then a decent coat of something like stonechip, or POR15 should keep it going for years to come.

I'm sure there are other recomends for products.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Little story... it has a point, so please bear with me.

All my family are from the North East, and many of them had worked in the Tyne Shipyards for years.

Apparently, a family friend had a Vauxhall Victor (I think) which had a common rust issue, the front panel used to rust out below the front bumpers.

My uncle, at the time, being a young chap at the time got hold of some paint to treat the rust and halt it's progress from one of his superiors at the yard. Now this stuff went on with a brush, and gave a really nice finish, albeit a light pink colour - when he'd gone to give it a topcoat of colour, he went back to find the colour coat had literally run off the surface - He'd got hold of some of the anti-fouling paint used on the bulbs below the prows of ships.

Over the years, he saw that car get rustier and shabbier, except for the pristine 'chin' of this car, which remained immaculate - I'd like to think in some scrapyard somewhere there's a pile of rust surrounding a nice pink panel.

Now we could use some of that for our subframes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts