Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a step by step guide to taking off the sub frame on a gt, 156 and 147 are the same.

Looking at it, it looks like a very easy job........? Am I wrong lol?

R

·
0 Posts
I changed my FARB on my 147 about 3 years ago and it required the complete removal of the sub frame. I needed two jacks to push everything up back up to fasten it up. I'll try to find the p;osts that guided me for you!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it was suppose to read 147 gt and 156 are the same so if anyone had a guide for any of these.

Just had a quick search and it just doesn't seem like a hard job.

Undo all the bolts. Move exhaust out the watch and hold the gear box in place.......and bobs drop down!

Just need to watch out for the rack bolt ensuring they go in straight!

Does anyone have the torque figures?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Putting it back - it is easy to get the 13 mm bolts at the back in. Start with those, and the thing is roughly in place. Then get the "horns" in - this is where a bit of shoving is needed with the jack. Once those are in the rest is easy. Torque - for the bigger bolts, just yard on it with a sensible sized ratchet

Get all the bolts in loosely before tightening any of them, and get the alignment checked afterwards.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Some of the bolts (particularly steering rack) are VERY tight (or at least they were on mine). You'll need good sockets and a securely raised car and as said above two trolley jacks help a lot. Its not too bad a job but can depend on how many problems you hit. It just takes one or two problem bolts (eg on exhaust) to slow it down.

Keith

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brill, it sounded nasty the more i read about it and thought I must be missing something!

Any tips to enure I do not cross thread the rack threads.....me and alloy do not mix :-(. Tourque settings would also be handy for these - i will strip them if they have to he tight lol.

Sounds more fun then taking off a clutch. - which is alao what ill be doing :).

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I managed to replace the ARB on a 156 by just dropping the subframe enough to allow the roll bar to be removed. Still a bugger of a job on the drive and took a good few hours......

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks, Chris, for that reassurance. I thought it must be possible but as all is knock-free atm Iwill wait until I have no other option but try it!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided I wanna take mine out, do all the bushes, clutch, give it a bloody good clean and once and for all sort my alignment out!

Give it a good polish and wax, new alloys. Will be gpod as NEW!

Then maybe actually sell the car lol.......

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts