Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 10 months, I have finally been re-acquainted with my 166 :). It has had a new cambelt & tensioner but otherwise only needed brake pads, wiper blades and front brake pipe for the MoT. I also had a new battery fitted plus the wheels balanced and the tracking done.

As I was planning to drive back to Berlin in it, I took it for a shake-down from Suffolk to London then London to Gloucestershire and back, in order to check for faults. I've since driven it back to Berlin and all appears to be fine...except for one thing.

When accelerating hard, all is fine and smooth until just after 4500rpm, when the car stutters for a moment, then it is smooth again from 5000rpm to 7000rpm. I tried it several times on the journey and it always happens at exactly the same point.

Prior to the above work, I had a full service, including plugs, incidentally, so it shouldn't be that. Anyone have ideas? Could it be a coil pack failure? But why does it happen at that point in the revs each time?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Niall, is it expensive to replace? At the moment, it is causing no real problem in day to day driving but is it likely to get worse and cause the engine to run badly all over the rev range?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Prices vary greatly, don't be tempted by a cheap ebay one. I think I paid about £90 for mine and I guess an hours labour. If it is the MAF it will feel like a new car when its changed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts