Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been done somewhere before but 'search' seems to be disabled to the mo. :( Recommended tyre pressure for my 147 JTD from what I have found is 32/36. Until I questioned this I always thought you just fill the tire to near the max psi thus on mine that is 51 so wouldn't 32 or even 36 be way under-inflated? Any thoughts/clarification much appreciated!

S

·
0 Posts
32 Psi is on all four normal loading, 36 rears full load. Much more will make the ride choppy and wear the centre section of your tyres before the edges. Also makes for poor grip in the wet.

Stick to 32psi.

PS My tyres have a max inflation mark of 50 psi, so 51 must be pushing it!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
boneman147 said:
Until I questioned this I always thought you just fill the tire to near the max psi thus on mine that is 51 so wouldn't 32 or even 36 be way under-inflated?
You should never run road tyres at that kind of pressure.

You should use about 32-35psi as this is the correct pressure and it is the safe pressure to use. Over inflated tyres will wear out the centre section of the tyre, be very uncomfortable, provide less grip and be potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Tou should run your tyres according to specific model and manufacturers handbook.

My 166 runs 225/45/17 tyres - 2.7 bar (39psi) per Alfa.

When I bought the car I had to change most of the tyres due to poor wear - Previous owner had ben running at around 30psi which was obviously too soft for this car and wearing the outer edges.

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Pascs said:
You should use about 32-35psi as this is the correct pressure and it is the safe pressure to use. Over inflated tyres will wear out the centre section of the tyre, be very uncomfortable, provide less grip and be potentially dangerous.
On the upside, I bet you're getting cracking fuel economy :cheese:
Shame about the going round corners bit ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts