Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a bit of spare cash on me when i visited a garage near my work place and was tempted by the offer of a high quality 1080p dash-cam.

It was just shy of £20, so i wasn't expecting much, but Oh MY Gawd, it's dire.

It supposedly has a night vision mode, so i tried it tonight on my way home from work. The only thing visible on playback are the sidelights of a lorry (or something that resembles a lorry)

I really should not have bought it, but the attendant told me he used it as home security and swore by it's ability!

I'm probably more angry at myself, than him.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
There's a price-point where something can be thought of as cheap
becomes a tatty PoS.

This differs for each type of gadget, but for dashcams I'd say it's about 40 quid
at the moment.

;)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Wot Nev said, the early E Prances are quite good, but the later ones are supposedly much better, especially during night time use? :):

·
Registered
316 Posts
If it's the type I'm thinking of I picked up a couple when they were on offer before Xmas at £9 each. I've got them indoors pointed at the approach to the front and back doors. They're not on, but are clearly visible and as a deterrent I can't argue with less than £20 where they are obviously actual cameras and not possible dummy cctv.

As dash cams:censored:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Seriously, around the house, car and garage I have about four of these things. They are indeed crap and I have no idea why I bought three of them.. well not totally.

One was reviewed as being very good, I suspect my eBay purchase is but a Chinese copy with a HDMI connector for fun.

The other two were me trying...

One was free because when it turned up it was broken.
I found out the other day the 12v socket in this 159 does not work so they have become more useless now.

Impulse buy me? Never. Did I ever say how many DSLR's, Mirrorless and compact cameras I had at one time? :lol: My photography is really quite crap too.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I really should not have bought it, but the attendant told me he used it as home security and swore by it's ability!
probably the only thing even thieves didn't want to take from his house :biglaugh:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I bought some LED festoon lights (10) for my car on the recommendation of a Lexus owner.

I have since found I do not have a festoon light anywhere in the car........bastid........newbie mistake.......:furious:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I always sell the old camera before buying a new one now. ;)
I've only ever bought two new cameras, well in the last 20 years.
Both sold. I'm down to three and considering ridding myself of at least one of those.
also Four Nikon DSLR's and one V1 needing repairs.
It all started with me having an idea to buy and repair. I lost interest though :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've only ever bought two new cameras, well in the last 20 years.
Both sold. I'm down to three and considering ridding myself of at least one of those.
also Four Nikon DSLR's and one V1 needing repairs.
It all started with me having an idea to buy and repair. I lost interest though :D
Sony V1?

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
I saw an 1100 Watt petrol generator for £150 (reduced by £50) for sale in Homebase - the sort used by market stallholders.

I don't need a generator but I like the idea of portable petrol appliances and it was bright and shiny - so I bought it.

I got it home and have run it once to test it - it works. That'll probably be the last time I'll start it up unless we have a power cut (we live rurally and the noise won't affect our neighbours when it's running outside) then we will at least be able to plug in a couple of lights and a kettle if I can be arsed to set it up.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
A couple of watches on Saturday for him and her. Totally unplanned and a bit more than I'd normally spend on one (or two)! I'm sure a good few here might see them has piddling cheapos though :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Dad was going to put up a roof and lay down a floor in our back yard to build a workshop... Sold our Ducati Desmo to fund said workshop, money was spent on a 1999 156 Sportwagon that we dropped a 3.5 litre V6 in with the original 6 speed 'box.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts