Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! After months of searching for a car for our little family, that would give us the space we needed but still able to put a smile on our faces when driving...we found the perfect motor!! An Alfa 156 1.8 TSpark in Cosmos Blue on a W plate, one owner from new! Since me and the wife have been together, we've had all sorts...from a 1.3 Automatic Metro, to a BMW 3-series Tourer and just about everything in between, but never even considered an Alfa! We were looking to change our gigantic Volvo V70 2.4T Estate (which we thought we needed for our two little boys and all the bumpf that comes with babies) and I spotted this little gem as a P/X to clear and fell in love! It took a while to pluck up the courage to tell the wife that I wanted to change the car again (we'd only had the Volvo 3 months after swapping out of our Honda Stream Sport!), so I did all my research...some good, some bad, so there was only one way to find out for sure whether this could fill our needs...a test drive (before telling the wifey!!) My God!! :D I've never smiled so much driving a production car!! The eagerness of the engine, that awesome sound, the poise and handling through the corners and of course those 156 looks!! I had to have her!! I told the good lady that night and showed her the pictures online...thankfully she was of the same mind as me in the fact that we needed to change the Volvo, but she wasn't convinced..."just wait til you drive it" I said! Now there came a twist...we spotted another 156 at a different garage, slightly cheaper, so we thought we'd better have something to compare our one to, before we did a deal. We all went to test this one....bitterly disappointed, wouldn't start, lumpy tick over and the brakes and handling were awful, the wife was not impressed! I had a chat with the dealer and he admitted it hadn't come from a good home and could do with some TLC, and to make things worse he offered us an outstanding price on the Volvo! I said to the wife, "I know the other one is more expensive, but come and drive it...you'll at least see what I meant about the experience" ,so off to the other dealers for yet another test drive! She disappeared off the forecourt with the dealer looking apprehensive beside her, while I sat in our Swedish bus with our boys..... 20mins later I heard some tyres squealing and that unmistakeable engine note as my wife came flying back, beaming from ear to ear! The car was ours! The dealer offered a good deal on the Scandahoolie passion wagon, but I got him to chuck in a full service and a cambelt change to make me shake his hand there and then, he agreed, but it meant we couldn't pick the car up until Friday. :( I was going back to sea for 3 weeks on Wednesday!! 10 days into the trip now, every night I've had to listen to my wife tell me how fantastic our car is to drive, how it justs grips like it's on rails, what an amazing noise it makes, how surprisingly good on fuel it is (anything would be good after the Titanic-like Volvo!) and how she loves driving past all the sheep in their mondeos and beemers and thinking "My car is so much sexier than yours!!"...she knows that I'm just dying to get my hands on it...she's such a tease!! Still, only 11 days to go!! Oh by the way, in case you hadn't got the jist....we're both in love with and seriously hooked on our Alfa!! Go and buy one...but make sure it's been loved!!

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO......some introduction.....:HAPPY:.....but you are at sea so must be aching to get your hands on her, feel her curves..........the car that is........:lol:
You now have to consider the fact that no other marque will ever be as good.........:thumbs:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Stu, sorry got a bit carried away on the keyboard! Seriously looking forward to getting home and getting stuck in...few little jobs to do on her, but if I can get her looking half as shiny as yours I'll be a happy man....and I'm talking about the car not the wife! Not sure the wife would like a good buffing with T-Cut...although it does get those little lines out...Hhmmmm?? I wonder.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts