Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i could not got to work yesterday or today as the snow was too bad :rolleyes:

..... so i went to my garage and built up and tarted up more of my 16v :)

what do you guys think about not running it with timing belt covers? i think they look good like that but it only takes one stone between the belt and cam pulley and its game over...???

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
pretty cool thing to have in ya garage lad ;)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It's not just stones that you need to worry about................... Excessive wear on the belts and pulleys just from Grime and dirt. I've owned a couple of harley davidsons with belt drives. they are good but last no time at all cos they are exposed and pick up lots of crap................ Of course a stone caught in there isn't pretty at all. Go with th covers.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Iain is running without covers for quite a long time now with no problems, but I'm not as brave as he is, so I've got mine on at all times :eek:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the thoughts guys, i think i will run it with them as as you are all correct in what your saying,... ok i better get the belt cover back plates cleaned up and painted then,,,,,....... do u ever get the felling it never stops? lol

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
you have done a real good job there kam.
i had a sud in 1988 with no covers , no probs at all
until i span off in to someones garden wall and
some how the windscreen landed in a garden over the road:eek:
i just came out of it with a chipped tooth.
just thought i would share that.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Melv, i had an alfetta gtv that i crashed thru a garden wall many years ago,..... its was actually a house across the road from my mates house, his dad knew a builder and i got the wall rebuilt for them ! .. car was dead tho :O(

·
Registered
389 Posts
Be good to make up some translucent covers...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
thanks Melv, i had an alfetta gtv that i crashed thru a garden wall many years ago,..... its was actually a house across the road from my mates house, his dad knew a builder and i got the wall rebuilt for them ! .. car was dead tho :O(
aahr the joys of been an inexperienced driving teenager.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol yep that just about sums that little event up ..... the old classic "JUMP ON BRAKES" OOOO LOOK,..NO STEERING WHEN THE WHEELS ARE LOCKED!!!!! ......

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
car

while we are on the subject of car crashes when i was 19 my mate got a mint greencloverleaf sud ti for his first car from his parents and we had a crash in it down a country lane ,rolled it three times and hit two trees and hit a telegraph pole and we both got out ok all i had was a scratch on my thumb .:eek:.
car was a write off.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
no wonder there is hardly any suds left then, we all wrote most of em off in our youth:lol:
and we thought the rust was to blame.:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts