Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to replace the stub axle bushes today and abandoned half way through.. I have to say it’s easier said than done. :(

After eventually getting the calliper off which took the bones of an hour due to the fact I had lost my 15mm spanner and would you know it, it’s the one you need to hold the nut while turning on the bolt with the 13mm spanner.. Eventually got the calliper off and removed the calliper bracket while I was there and loosened off the brake disc guard. :)

When I tried to remove the front two bolts holding in the trailing arm, I realised my ratchet set had every size except the 15mm. What is it with 15mm bolts on this car? :confused:

Tried then in vain to open the bolt going through the stub axle bush. It must have been horsed on my some 30st mechanic with a torque wrench set for 200psi. Forget that. :mad: :mad: :rant:

So I said, while I’m here, I’ll do the rear pads. BIG mistake. How the hell do you force back those calliper pistons? :mad: I’ve read somewhere they have to be turned while pushing…how do you do that with only 2 hands? Is there a special tool for the job?

So it looks like I’ll be letting the stub axle bush and rear pads to be done by the independent next month when he’s doing the front upper wishbones unless someone is willing to tell me where I went wrong and I could give it another bash next weekend. :eek:

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Tee-O said:
So I said, while I’m here, I’ll do the rear pads. BIG mistake. How the hell do you force back those calliper pistons? :mad: I’ve read somewhere they have to be turned while pushing…how do you do that with only 2 hands? Is there a special tool for the job?
If its the same as a 155, the pistons need winding back with a special tool, only costs about £6 from halfords (pic), it locates in the piston then you can use a rachet - push and wine, they can be a bit stiff though, took my calipers off ad put them in the vice! ;) Good luck on the rest that I cant help with ;) :)

W

·
0 Posts
G-clamps and water pump pliers ;)

Might look at the £6.00 tool though...I thought they were about £20.

wrinx

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
If it is the M24 nut/bolt you are trying to remove the torque setting for tightening it up is 336Nm or 248lb/ft, so expect it to need more force than that to remove it!

·
Registered
15,172 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David C said:
If it is the M24 nut/bolt you are trying to remove the torque setting for tightening it up is 336Nm or 248lb/ft, so expect it to need more force than that to remove it!
Not sure of the size, but it's the one going thru the stub axle bush...

Gonna leave it to the mechanic in 3 weeks time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts