Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 155 16v widebody with sportpack,could anyone advise me on strut braces,and how much will i notice the ride difference,how much,and where from.
regards Alfamad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Alfamad

welcome to the forum :)

Momo do a strut brace for the 155 but it needs some slight mods to the engine bay, theres a fuse to turn and think brake pipes, also needs raising a bit!! Henry has done this succesfully. Check out

http://alfa155.co.uk

There may be fotos and stuff there.

wrinx

·
Registered
564 Posts
i've fitted an OMP strut brace to my 155, I needed to move a fuse box but nothing else. I havent noticed any differance but I only Had the car two weeks before fitting it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a momo job on the silverstone. It needed the brake lines er bending out of the way a little but that's all. The results? well not startling unless you are really puching it but slightly sharper turn in - the flip side is that it's easier to break traction (just like if you have your car too stiff)

Alex

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got my eyes on a strut-brace made by Eibach in Germany; you'll find that this is in Aluminium and is beautifully polished. It certainly is expensive but it definetly looks the part!!!

TAZ.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taz

There was a similiar thread on alfaowner about the difference between steel and alloy braces. Several heated discussons and a metallurgist later it was felt the steel ones were stronger and the weight difference negligible.

But do they look as good wink

wrinx

·
Registered
715 Posts
I might have a Momo one for sale at National Alfa Day, so give me a shout if anyone is interested

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( :( :(
I've just phoned Eibach to place an order for the strut-brace and they told me they have discontinued it. I am really upset since I had to wait for a year to order it and now it's gone. The only consolation is that they don't make them anymore for any car!!!

Damn I'm so unimpressed!!!

TAZ.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All

Just fitted Henry's old MOMO brace to my V6. Had to do the obligatory bending of brakes pipes and raise one of the arms with a washe as the engine mount on the left makes it uneven. The back arms didnt fit too well and needed a damn good push to make them line up for the bolts.

Results, well, feels a little sharper on turn in but its hard to tell without me going for a real drive....soon!!!!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That raises a question I had - does anyone know of any strut braces specifically for the V6? Eibach's obviously out, but I don't think they made a V6 one anyway and OMP don't seem to have one for this model. The only one I know of is Hormann at £160. Are there any others like Sparco or Momo perhaps...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would presume they are the same for each model, the MOMO's dont seem to fit very well regardless of engine size!!!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone have any experience of fitting a decent strut brace to a Q4.. I've looked under the bonnet & I'm not sure where it's going to go! there just isn't much room.

Alex

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, I've got one on, It will fit, but you may have to fiddle around with the power steering fluid bottle, and the 'puck' sized thing with Denso written on the top, also at the other side of the engine bay, there are a couple of electrical connectors/fuses that will need to be moved. It does make a difference and it is worth it. Be careful when you undo the bolts holding your topmounts, I sheared 3 of them and had to replace the topmounts, they seize, so give them a soaking in release fluid.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for that steve,

The 'puck' thing with Denso on it.. is that the EGR valve? I had a hose from it burn through & managed about 13mpg!! it's loads better since I fixed it though :)

What make is the one you have? I have a Momo one on the Silverstone but the fit isn't great. I've seen ones which have 'rings' which cover the suspension turrets - I guess these would be more ridgid.. any suggestions?

Cheers,
alex

1 - 15 of 15 Posts