Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are strut braces worth the cash?

thinking of getting some for my mito QV but looking at about £250.

any thoughts?

regards

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have one on my 156. Didn't make a huge difference, but definitely noticeable. I'm not sure about the mito, or its suspension layout. The chassis is probably stiff enough already :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I noticed a huge difference when I put A rear upper brace on my integrale, but it is a big empty old box, probably not as stiff as a Mito, but it's still a hatch, so you may notice it. The rear upper brace wouldn't make such a big difference on a saloon, as it sort of has one with the back seat supports. Worth a crack!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Strut braces do work! I put a lower one on my 156 GTA and it made the car feel much sharper. (i had to remove as i kept bottoming it though!) The upper front strut braces do also work but do not make as much of a difference.
However it really does depend on where you put it and what car it is in.
Strut braces are Very car dependant. Trial and error is the only way to know for yourself, they not very expensive either.
250 seems a bit hefty though, remember all it is, is a bit or metal work to brace, i am sure you could get a nice custom one made cheaper

·
Registered
377 Posts
Had upper, lower and rear strut's.......fitted same day.....slight difference.......
Fitted Eibach ARB's - front and rear - huge difference........

·
Registered
813 Posts
are strut braces worth the cash?

thinking of getting some for my mito QV but looking at about £250.

any thoughts?

regards
One thing to bear in mind is the effect a strut brace has if your car is involved in an incident. The reason it causes such a hike in insurance premium is because of force transfer. I.e if you have a knock on the right hand side, the force will then be transferred through the strut brace to the left hand side of the car and thus causing further damage there. Worth it? Bear in mind new gen alfas are pretty rigid already....

D

·
0 Posts
Might get a lower one and a upper one I've seen lower ones on Golfs and to be fair they worked. Now wonder how much they are.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
lower one works the best and is the cheapest, i reckon it improved the turn in noticeably but with a v6 up front it hits the exhaust and gets bottomed out, i will be modifying mine to fit

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh yer im only considering it at the moment. Just wondering if anyone actualy has had them on the mito and worth it?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I added a top brace to my 147 and there was no difference. I then added the lower alfa gta subframe stiffening braces and they did make a difference.

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
Ahh yer im only considering it at the moment. Just wondering if anyone actualy has had them on the mito and worth it?
Yes mate, 130 quid for both top and bottom front braces...:thumbs:

Only fitted the top brace so far to get a feel for it before fitting the bottom one..
Feels more planted in fast sweeping bends (no wallowing) still on standard shocks
but lowered by 30mm.
I'm no expert but does feel better for it :thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts