Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that strut braces have been discussed here many times before so forgive me but I have a specific query. Here is a picture of one of the mountings for my strut brace:

As you will see this not only braces the strut mountings through the main mounting bolts (as I would expect from any strut brace) but it also 'leans on' the turret in the centre of the strut. This is supposed to be rubber-mounted to allow movement as the angle of the strut changes due to suspension movement and I am worried that, as things are, desirable movement is being restricted.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

When driving fairly hard around bumpy bends there is a knocking sound which I am convinced is the turret 'banging' against the aluminium strut brace mount. I am intending to remove the brace at the weekend to confirm this (i.e. try driving without it) but I already know that there is movement between the two because when I had the struts out to change the springs there was evidence of some wear on the aluminium.

Does anyone else have a strut brace similar to this? I don't know what make it is. Here's another picture:

Any thoughts on this would be welcome!

Thanks.

Ian

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my OMP brsce is similar but it is well clear of the suspension strut.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you don't have adjustable top mounts or anything do you? looks like the strut top is way off vertical.. might be my eyes though.. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont panic the bit you can see is solid mounted to the strut tower,,the rubber mount is inside so its not affected at all...but the noise could well be the brace knocking.try putting a small piece of rubber between the two.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is on your V6 right? The only people I've found who make strut bars for V6s are Hormann Motorsport. Otherwise it could be a home-made jobbie??? Or maybe someones used one meant for something else - is it adjustable at all?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try to reply to everyone at once....

If the metal covers are rigid-mounted to the strut tops then that's all the more reason for them NOT wanting to contact the strut brace since it will restrict movement of the strut. There is not enough room between strut and brace to get a sheet of paper between them, let alone some rubber!

No, the strut mounts/tops are not adjustable in any way that I can see. I've had them apart to fit new springs and I'm sure I'd have noticed... Also, because of the positions of the mounting bolts there's no possibility of mounting them the wrong way around.

The strut brace is adjustable (for 'span') but this is on the LHS, not shown in the picture I posted. It was fitted by BBR when the car was new and is likely either to have been made specially for the car or obtained from one of the race teams (BTCC or DTM). I find it hard to believe that a brace for the V6 doesn't exist anywhere (although they may not be available commercially now) because these cars were raced in V6 form in some race series. I have to say that from the quality of the brace it is definitely designed for the car and is unlikely to be a one-off.

Ian

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian Spring:
I'll try to reply to everyone at once....

If the metal covers are rigid-mounted to the strut tops then that's all the more reason for them NOT wanting to contact the strut brace since it will restrict movement of the strut.

Ian
errrr how.???? its just the top mounting plate and it doesnt/cant move anyway.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheer up,

Madeno Racing in the Netherlands (I think) do one:

Madeno Racing

1. Click on the 147 picture
2. Click on Tuning
3. Click on Producten
4. On the left drop-down menu, select "Alfa 155"
5. On the right drop-down menu, select "Wegligging"

The V6 brace is the same as the Q4.

Autosport Iwase in Japan do one too:

Autosport Iwase

Menus are self-explanatory.

I think that Sparco may do one too but their web-site is not yet up and running.

Hope this helps,

Taz.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a MOMO strut brace, took a bit of persuasion but it went on.

wrinx

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ian, could the rubber have deteriorated to allow an exagerated amount of movement in the strut top mounts. As from what I understand the strut is mounted to a metal inner core which is then fixed via the rubber to a mounting plate which secures the strut to the inner wing.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm. I think I'll have to take one of the struts off to investigate.

I see what you mean, jimybob, but somethings causing the knocking when cornering so either something's moving that shouldn't or something is being restricted frommoving that should be able to move freely. Maybe.

I still think that taking the brace off and driving without it for a bit will establish whether it is actually the brace causing the 'problem'. If it is I can then investigate it in more detail.

I will double-check the rubber mounts - the car has done 60,000 miles with almost rigid suspension so anything rubber is likely to have worked very hard.

Ian

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wrinx, on your momo brace, what exactly do you mean by persuasion? I take that to mean a bit of a bodge job (?) wink Could you please elaborate, i'm after getting one, and would like to know what to expect, cheers. Oh, and where'd you get it btw?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Wrinx is using one meant for a TS. The V6 braces are different.
Thanks Taz for that. The Japanese ones were still a bit pricey, like the Hormann ones, but Madeno looks promising and I'm trying to follow up the possibility of Sparco ones. I've been looking for one for ages...
Not that this helps Ian any...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris Hughes (Register no 151) has a V6 and a Sparco brace! Wonder if he's still around to tell me how it cost???

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alex-bought my brace from Henry, 2nd hand. It didnt really fit his twinspark either hence selling it to me. The "persuasion" involved a little bit of spreading the arms to make them line up with the bolts. It was about half an inch out.

Justin-Chris Hughes pops in occassionally but its not been for a while???

wrinx

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ian,
60k miles on near rigid suspension??? That'll be the lower wishbones needing to be replaced then!!!

I drove over a pot-hole here in Oxfordshire and I thought that one of my struts was going to shoot through the bonnet! I also chipped one of my teeth :mad: :D It took just that to need a new lower wishbone since it knackered the ball joint! I will be obviously sue the council for this.. any recommendations on what procedure I should go about to ensure I get some of the costs covered???

Cheers,
T.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The wishbones are fine - just passed an MoT and I double-checked them when I had the struts off anyway. The knocking is coming from the top, not the bottom, anyway.

If you're serious about sueing the council take a photograph of the pot hole (if they've filled it in you're already too late) and record the damage to the car (garage report is usually required to stand up in court). Then contact your motoring organisation (assuming that, as the driver of an Italian car you belong to one!) and speak to one of their legal advisors who should be able to advise you (free of charge).

Then you can decide whether to instruct a solicitor or just forget the whole thing as being too much of a pain in the arse and a waste of time for too little possible gain.

Ian

·
Registered
564 Posts
On the subject of strut braces, I have an OMP strut brace fitted to my 16 valve, only thing I had to move was a small fuseboard near the ABS unit. I was told on a different post that certain brace's need you to move brake pipes etc....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts