Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been looking around on AO and seen many posts and picies suggesting 'strut braces'.

As am new to this how beneficial is fitting one? i have 1.8 ts 156.
Im no mechanic but do enjoying small DIY work and also the red strut braces do look very :cool:

If this has been discussed before sorry for dragging it back up.

thanks

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Which strut brace ?
The top front, lower front, or rear ? :)

The benefit of a strut brace is that stifens the chassis when its in motion (ie. corning) so it improves handing on corners. If you like driving fast, it is the cheapest and simplest performance improvement you can get.

It is said the biggest improvement is from the lower brace, and the least from the rear. I think both the front ones are important, but the rear is is a bit of a placebo in normal driving :)

Apart from the rear (which involves drilling) they are very easy to fit, undo bolts, attach brace re-do bolts again.

Strutbracer on this forum sells some OMP braces, so you can ask him about them.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I fitted an OMP upper front strut brace (this is the normal one ) to my previus car a 2.0 TS 156. The most noticeable effect was to tighten up the steering response, much faster change of direction.
In my opinion well worth doing, and easy to fit yourself though I believe a torque wrench should be used (I have one).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of adding a top front strut.

would you say its a relevant upgrade for a 1.8?

also would insurance companies be interested in this upgrade ?

sorry for been naive on this topic

Mike

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I cant imagine they would. Its just a pipe. It does not matter really if its a 1.8 or not. Its how you drive it :)
If you live to give it legs from time to time, its nice.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of adding a top front strut.

would you say its a relevant upgrade for a 1.8?

also would insurance companies be interested in this upgrade ?

sorry for been naive on this topic

My personal opinion on this is that the upper is not worth it. The lower however makes a big difference but is too low and can catch on ramps etc....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts