Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

After trawling on here i still have a couple of questions re strut braces for the V6! I fitted an OMP one (available as OE) on my old Fiat Coupe 20VT and it made a notable difference so thinking of trying one on the GTV.

The options seem to be OMP (dear and poor fit?), Ultra Racing (long delivery?) or Weichers (alloy or steel from Alfisti.net). I'm mainly considering the latter but has anyone bought one recently as it seems the design may have been changed to avoid interference with the bonnet which some folks seem to have experienced? Also any recommendations of alloy over steel or vice versa?

Any appreciable improvement noted on fitting to the GTV?

Lastly - has anyone tried the Alfaholics handling kit of uprated roll bars front and rear?

Much appreciated! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hello all

After trawling on here i still have a couple of questions re strut braces for the V6! I fitted an OMP one (available as OE) on my old Fiat Coupe 20VT and it made a notable difference so thinking of trying one on the GTV.

The options seem to be OMP (dear and poor fit?), Ultra Racing (long delivery?) or Weichers (alloy or steel from Alfisti.net). I'm mainly considering the latter but has anyone bought one recently as it seems the design may have been changed to avoid interference with the bonnet which some folks seem to have experienced? Also any recommendations of alloy over steel or vice versa?

Any appreciable improvement noted on fitting to the GTV?

Lastly - has anyone tried the Alfaholics handling kit of uprated roll bars front and rear?

Much appreciated! :thumbs:
I fitted the Weichers steel version on my Cup.
Bought from Alfisti
Great service. It arrived pdq.
There are two types V6 and for the twin spark.
Make sure you get the V6 version and it will fit Ok.
I would say that the bolts that came with it were to short so I had to get longer ones.
A small point but be prepared.
I went for the steel version. Its cheaper but some less than favourable reports put me off the Alluminium version.
As for driving I think its a lot better and glad I had it on when I did a recent track day.
I have the Q2 fitted and would recommend both. As I did both at approx the same time its hard to quantify but go for it would be my recommendation

Alan

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
I fitted the Weichers steel version..
Bought from Alfisti
Great service. It arrived pdq.
As for driving I think its a lot better
+1 on all 4 points........:thumbs:
Recently had cambelts done at Jamie Porters and the mechanic who did the work ( a GTV owner) came back from a test run with a massive smile saying that he wished his handled as well as mine.......

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I have the steel Weichers on mine, also bought from Alfitsi.net.

Arrived quick.

Bolts not long enough, spacers too big, interfered with bonnet, no fitting instructions, was a faff to fit.

Works well though once on!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
+1 Ultra racing!

If they don't have what you want in stock it can take a month or so for it to arrive from Malaysia.
Tina will keep you in formed.
Perfect fitment

Very good :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I'd have both lower braces but fear theyd destroy the subframe if I go over a speedbump!

Rear doesn't really need it as it's an alloy subframe which will have little to no flex.

They seem cheap enough and might get the lowers and hope I don't hit anything.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Your a braver man then I am!

I've already scrapped those supporting brackets on a curb once, if the front lower strut braces were on who knows what would of happened?!?
I'd like these for my Spider as I'm sure they will be more effective than the standard braces. They look like they will actually do something for the stiffness of the bodyshell. If they scrape the ground they will undoubtedly hold up better than the original equipment anyway.

Maybe I should make my own, but my fabrication and welding skills are terrible!

EDIT: I just found http://www.ultraracing.co.nz/ultra-racing-strut-brace-sway-bar-chassis-bracing-products/ and made an enquiry. Anyone else in NZ will be relieved to know there's an NZ importer! :)

-Alex

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Alex if your car has a standard ride hight I'm sure they'd be fine.

As my cars been lowered I can't see that "rear" front lower brace staying on the car for long, its held on by 2 bolts and would fold back and snap off if came into contact with any thing I'd imagine.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thanks Andy!

I had an email back today - strut brace and four-point lower brace in stock, other braces can arrive in February.

What I wasn't expecting was that there is also a rear anti-roll bar in stock. It seems quite pricey at the equivalent of over £150 - question is, is it helpful? I don't recall whether there is an anti-roll bar fitted to the rear as standard? I could go and look, but it's raining :lol:

-Alex

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
It has a arb as standard, not sure I'd want to stiffen that on the rear though.
Thanks.
On a related note, I had to change the rear anti-roll bar on my 156 when I fitted the sensor for HID headlights. The bar is a cute and spindly little thing, 10 or 12mm I think it was. With it fitted, and the rear of the car on axle stands, both wheels were hanging free. I placed a jack under the hub carrier of one wheel, and jacked up until the suspension for that wheel was almost fully compressed. The suspension on the other side didn't lift the wheel by any measurable amount! Therefore, I suspect that the standard anti roll bar on the 156 is likely to have no effect on the handling, as it is too weak to overcome the unloaded suspension, never mind when the springs are compressed - so, how would there be any weight transfer? The bar can be twisted by hand! I wondered why it would be fitted at all, and then I saw two good reasons:
- it's a convenient point to attach the level sensor for the headlights
- it's a desirable item to have on the specification for a car
This decorative purpose might also explain the use of plastic drop links. Remember this is a car with 'BOSE' stuck to an empty tweeter grille :lol:

The Ultra Racing bar for the GTV/Spider is 20mm. That sounds more useful - so, has anyone found a difference with it fitted in place of the original? I'll assume the original actually does something on the GTV/Spider!

Cheers,
-Alex

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the steel Weichers on mine, also bought from Alfitsi.net.
Me too, got it from Italiatec.de. Best addition for a Spider I can imagine! The ride is so much better now, scuttle shake isn't gone completely, but it's a lot lees than before.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I ordered a Weichers last week. Still waiting for it to arrive. If it reduces half the scuttle shake, I'll be happy.
The roads round here are atrocious. :mygrin1:

·
Registered
49 Posts
These are regarded very highly. There's a thread on here about them, somewhere.

Alfa Romeo Products
They certainly have a very complete range but front strut brace is pictured on a TS - does anyone know if this same brace fits the V6 or do they make a specific version?

I only ask because the Wiechers is available in both TS and V6 versions so there must be some difference... then again it could just be marketing!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts