Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sort of on-topic, has anyone experimented with strut braces on a Spider? It's a long shot, but I was wondering if they helped with the 'shake... or at least reduced the overall horror of thumping through potholes at 20-30mph on 17" wheels?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Sorry to jump on this thread, but Im thinking of adding a strut brace to my 2004 Spider 2.0 JTS. Can any one suggest a brand. I think it should provide a marked improvement on the handling. :cool:

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
Would a strut brace on the front of a GTV be any good,or a waste of money?Thanks
Noticeable improvement in overall stability and turn-in. One of the easiest and cheapest mods on the 916 cars.

Sort of on-topic, has anyone experimented with strut braces on a Spider? It's a long shot, but I was wondering if they helped with the 'shake... or at least reduced the overall horror of thumping through potholes at 20-30mph on 17" wheels?
I have a Sparco strutbrace fitted to my Spider, and it's one of the big overall improvements made to the car. Other Spider owners on here have fitted strutbraces and they all report improvements in handling, same as the GTV. I don't think the 17" wheels are causing your 'thumping through potholes" - you need to look at upgrading the shocks and springs before you start blaming the wheels!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I fitted strut braces to both the Spiders I have owned. The first was an alloy Novitec, unfortunately they don't make them for the 916 anymore. More recently I fitted a Weichers alloy brace. In both cases it reduced the shake rattle and roll so obvious on the Spider, particularly on the potholed old cart tracks that pass for main roads down here in Sussex. A very cost effective mod I would say, although on a GTV it most likely would make less difference since they're stiffer to start with.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have a Weichers steel brace, I do not think it did so much to the turn-in, but the overall stability improved especially at high speed, and you get a better sense of what grip the wheels have, the steering wheel is more communicative, also a creaking sound from the dashboard disappeared.

:)

J

·
0 Posts
i have had one on the Spider since i got the car, i had to take it off once, i genuinely felt that the car was going all wobbly on me....

got a lower one coming next

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do they affect ride comfort at all?
Even if they do i'm probably going to get one :)
They shouldn't do, since all they really do is keep the strut towers equidistant reducing chasis flex and preventing the chasis flex from altering suspension and steering geometry.

The chap who is experiencing discomfort in ride with the 17" wheels may find it's down to low profile tyres transmiting more shock into the body shell, low profile tyres are great for looks and keeping the correct rolling radius when using larger than standard wheels but they do negativly affect ride quality.

A rear strut brace would also improve flex through the covertible models, bmw even developed under car cross bracing for some models.

Please stay away from hinged strut braces though! The hinges will allow the strut towers to move more than fixed or solid bars. The hinged type are simply engine bay bling. Whilst they may have a marked improvement it won't be as good as the solid type.

I'm going to have to see what's available on the tuning market myself for alfas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fitted a Sparco one to my Twinny a few weeks ago and noticed a difference straight away. Would reccommend it to all. Found mine on Ebay for £40.00 - money well spent a really easy to fit!!!! For once !!!!

D

·
0 Posts
did u fit the solid brace or a hinged one? how long did it take u to fix it on?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I cant speak for the spider\gtv but an upper strut brace on a 156 is a must. Gives the front end a really solid feel and you will definitely feel the difference with passengers or the car loaded.

Lower strut brace :

I put an OMP one on my 156 and this does affect ride comfort. The flex between the wishbones is used to reduce vibrations and so when they are locked together vibrations are sent up to the steering column and the rest of the car.

Going into pot holes the whole car skuttles as the front end is so solid.

I am having mine removed by Peak Alfa at the moment as it has also ruined the wishbone mounts (ie ripped out the bolts).

I'd put it back on if\when i track the car but for road use its not needed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts