Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anti Roll Bar / Sway Bar Query

Good Evening,

I am making my 33 better and am working on the suspensions, I've installed a Strut Tower Brace which made not only handling better but even the feel and its a god sent for the beautiful potholed roads in Malta.

My next step is to install a anti-roll bar / sway bar as here in Malta I've never seen stock ones ever so I managed to find original antiroll bar but I was warned that my cross member may not be possible to fit it on.

I thought that you might help me as I've spent hours looking for a 33 Image of a sway bar fitted but no luck.

So I took pictures of my cross member and I have the eyelets for the arms to be connected to but the front (No 1) i only have 2 Bolts and an empty one in between, is this normal i.e can I fit a sway bar on my cross member?

Appreciate your insight on the Matter.

Thanks & Regards,

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
They were standard fit in UK so you need the clamps to fit it. I think I have spares as will others like Alex Poulter. I am sure any of us over her could post them. Download a workshop manual and you will see what I mean. Or PM me and I will send correct diagram

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi Keith

You should be able to fit an anti roll bar to your car without too many problems as long as you have the correct brackets. Your suspension arms certainly have the mounting points for the anti-roll bar brackets, the rear part of your crossmember should have a threaded hole for the rearmost bracket bolt, the front part of the bracket is held on with the bolt that goes through the crossmember and into the chassis leg. If you don't have the threaded hole you may need to change your crossmember too but that should be relatively easy to find.

Here are a couple of pictures of my car (16v) which might help:

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Unfortunately my cross-member is shorter somehow and only had 3 threads 2 of them are used to bolt it to the chassis but after the last nut there is nothing. From the picture (Thanks to dickyb) I don't have the place where the rubber and end goes, like its missing the space of 2 bolts. I know that when I bought it a long time ago (10 Years) I discovered it was involved in an accident and its cross member was replaced among almost every part (It got hit on the rear fender and ended up on the side .. Don't want to even imagine it) now its tip top but I really want to get it whole ! Any of you guys know how heavy a cross member would be in order to send to Malta ? The Strut Bar made a Huge difference and the sway bar should technically give it an even better ride.

Thanks again & Regards,

Keith

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Hi I dont think you need another xmember if you can weld?

If no sway bar was fitted then they didnt fit the brackets onto the xmember. thats what you have got. You can see the rear bit i am on about in dickyb's picture

If you get a sway bar and all the right brackets, using the rear xmember bolts you can mount it on the car.

From that you could then see where you would need some brackets to mount the bolt hole to?

Cam e back from Malta about 3 wks ago now. last time we were there was 2000. Kept looking out for the old cars but not many about now. Doid manage to spot 4 series 3 33's and one series 1.

looking forward to coming back next year.

rsfruitbat

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help,

Unfortunately I am not good at welding and according to EPER yes that bracket is missing. There are 33's around but only enthusiast, there used to be tons of old cars here but when Japan Imports started coming and Registration of Foreign Vehicles became cheaper everyone is with a BMW or Merc ... You dont find my 156 Facelifts though there are 4 I know about 2 are Diesel I have a Veloce 2 (2.0 JTS - Full Kit - Brembo Brakes etc).

Although I love my Alfa's the 33 has always captivated me when driving its different and I think that is what makes it look modernish even today.

Guess I have to get a cross member from the UK to Malta :(

Thanks & Regards,

Keith

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Afternoon,

I've managed to get a good cross member from the UK and it was pristine, still had some rust but nothing major and all is great. One problem though, The brackets that hold the bar to the cross member came of incorrect size they should be 14cm in length but I got a shorter one by mistake and I cant get hold of the guy at the minute. Do any of you have a pair you can sell me (The Ones that have 1 bolt going through the chassis), If so can you also provide me with the bolts that hold the other part of the bracket as i dont have them or their dimensions.

Appreciate the help,

Regards,

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good Afternoon,

I've managed to get a good cross member from the UK and it was pristine, still had some rust but nothing major and all is great. One problem though, The brackets that hold the bar to the cross member came of incorrect size they should be 14cm in length but I got a shorter one by mistake and I cant get hold of the guy at the minute. Do any of you have a pair you can sell me (The Ones that have 1 bolt going through the chassis), If so can you also provide me with the bolts that hold the other part of the bracket as i dont have them or their dimensions.

Appreciate the help,

Regards,

Keith
I have some spares in a box will look. I wish I had seen this earlier as I was a my mums and I also have some spares there. Ed and Alex on this forum probably have spares more readily available. Give me some time to look I will not be that quick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts