Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am really struggling with this one.
Can't get the bolt to budge at all, even used an electric impact on it with no success, please tell me it's a normal lefty loosey bolt?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Am really struggling with this one.
Can't get the bolt to budge at all, even used an electric impact on it with no success, please tell me it's a normal lefty loosey bolt?
It is a normal thread.

Any evidence of a super strong threadlock having been used?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
What I would probably do to avoid damaging anything is to see if it is possible to remove the exhaust camshaft with the pulley in place. What you have to be very careful with is not to damage the cam phase sensor between the pulley and head. There are thin strips of metal that run through the sensor so you have to be really careful.

If it is possible to remove the camshaft with the pulley in place without damaging the sensor, you can then put the camshaft in a vice with some wood to protect the cam lobes, apply a little heat to the bolt ( not too much! ) and then get medieval with the biggest breaker bar you have.

The procedure is the same as demonstrated here with the inlet camshaft variator -

The cam variator

I'd use bigger bits of wood than he has though.

Have you had a look at the engine forum to see if anyone has had a similar problem in the past?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I would probably do to avoid damaging anything is to see if it is possible to remove the exhaust camshaft with the pulley in place. What you have to be very careful with is not to damage the cam phase sensor between the pulley and head. There are thin strips of metal that run through the sensor so you have to be really careful.

If it is possible to remove the camshaft with the pulley in place without damaging the sensor, you can then put the camshaft in a vice with some wood to protect the cam lobes, apply a little heat to the bolt ( not too much! ) and then get medieval with the biggest breaker bar you have.

The procedure is the same as demonstrated here with the inlet camshaft variator -

The cam variator

I'd use bigger bits of wood than he has though.

Have you had a look at the engine forum to see if anyone has had a similar problem in the past?
Got it now thanks. Needed a mate to help me out to hold the locking tool. Big breaker bar and she went with a crack. I'm replacing the cam sensor that's why it was coming off, think the sensor ring is ok.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts