Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a GT 3.2 LT. Have a problem where it’s struggling to turnover when starting. If I turn off and start up again with a minute or so it turns over ok. But if I wait a few minutes before trying again it struggles ?

The battery is fully charged and alternator is charging correctly. Not sure if the battery cranking power is insufficient or if the starter motor is on its way out.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
More than likely high resistance in main electrical cables.
Try the Owners tech info- fault guides and more and look for Strange electrical faults fixed. That thread should help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely high resistance in main electrical cables.
Try the Owners tech info- fault guides and more and look for Strange electrical faults fixed. That thread should help.
thanks I'll give it a go

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
A way to check the earth is use a jump lead from battery negative terminal to engine block (or exhaust manifold or lifting eye).
The main positive wire may be tested by a jump cable from battery positive to main terminal on starter motor. I realise this is difficult on the V6 Busso though.

If neither of the jump cable methods brings about an improvement then I'd consider a new starter motor. They can degrade internally and then need a much higher current loading to make them work correctly. I've heard that called a lazy starter motor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A way to check the earth is use a jump lead from battery negative terminal to engine block (or exhaust manifold or lifting eye).
The main positive wire may be tested by a jump cable from battery positive to main terminal on starter motor. I realise this is difficult on the V6 Busso though.

If neither of the jump cable methods brings about an improvement then I'd consider a new starter motor. They can degrade internally and then need a much higher current loading to make them work correctly. I've heard that called a lazy starter motor.
thanks again, but just showing my ignorance, what am I looking for when testing ? to attach and then try to start ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts