Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I've decided to start adding Poly Bushes to the 147...
My Front Anti-Roll Bar Bushes need doing and the sub-frame scrubbed and de-rusted/ painted/ oil leak diverted to this area.

I found a company called StrongFlex on a search and thought I'd give them a go.
They're fairly reasonable (postage however is not) but all in all looks good.

They do Red and Yellow. Yellow a bit harder 'Sport' ones.

• RED colour - hardness of about 80 ShA* - suspension components have a hardness similar to the original metal-rubber bushes. However, strength of the polyurethane is many times greater, and the unique properties ensure long lasting comfort. Our RED products we recommend for all the "normal" car users who want improve stability and better driving.
  • YELLOW colour - hardness of about 90 ShA* - recommended for racing-sports vehicles, tuned.. etc. The suspension is much stiffer, as at higher speeds is important. Durability ensures stability of polyurethane suspension for many years.
Anyway so yes I found a 5% discount code that worked yesterday;

alfa5

also;

fiat5

I'll let you know how I get on.

I've just emailed them to pause the order if poss as I want to add on two exhaust mount hangers.

Oh and there's the UK site but the code only seems to work on the EU site and prices are similar.

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
359 Posts
Their front upper arm bushings doesn't fit. Diameter is too large. Had Strongflex, replaced them with Powerflex. Decided I'd rather pay the premium, and be sure the bushings will fit.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Hmm, that's odd. I fitted the red bushes to the upper wishbones of the TS.
I have the red front ARB bushes fitted in the JTS. However, these bushes are now noisy in less than 2 years. The wishbone bushes in the TS are quiet because I learned from my mistake of using their supplied copper grease and put the bushes in with a viscous silicone grease.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, that's odd. I fitted the red bushes to the upper wishbones of the TS.
I have the red front ARB bushes fitted in the JTS. However, these bushes are now noisy in less than 2 years. The wishbone bushes in the TS are quiet because I learned from my mistake of using their supplied copper grease and put the bushes in with a viscous silicone grease.
Ah thanks for the tip so for my 147 front antiroll bar I should forget the copper grease and go with silicone grease?
Ta!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yes but ideally have a trawl online for a nice viscous grease as some of the Carplan grease which is readily available can be really thin.

Polyurethane bushes are also in the rear hubs for the trailing arm connection and lubricated with silicone grease. I'm sure Strongflex tested grease before marketing their products but it was probably just weeks or months and not in very varied conditions. Super or Power Flex bushes I fitted to other cars came with silicone grease.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes but ideally have a trawl online for a nice viscous grease as some of the Carplan grease which is readily available can be really thin.

Polyurethane bushes are also in the rear hubs for the trailing arm connection and lubricated with silicone grease. I'm sure Strongflex tested grease before marketing their products but it was probably just weeks or months and not in very varied conditions. Super or Power Flex bushes I fitted to other cars came with silicone grease.
Trawling online a bit of a minefield so far; there’s not a lot of description on viscosity thickness.
Any recommendations please?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Fuchs Chemplex SI-LK 2 but that is hard to find. Look for a silicone grease which has an NLGI rating of ideally 3 or higher. I used some stuff years ago which was a 4. It was great for very slow moving applications.
The Carplan stuff is probably about a 1.
Granville market stuff which is probably a 2.
Anything in a squeezy tube is likely too thin. Ideally something in a tub which can probably withstand 200 degrees centigrade. There is some Carbusonic stuff on eBay which may be ok. Failing that, if you have sachets of silicone grease which is supplied with some brake calipers, that may be ok.

However much it costs, it will be worth it because I know I wished I'd spent a little extra on good silicone grease. Only the bushes I fitted with the supplied grease have become noisy and the bushes with silicone grease are still quiet after more than 30k miles.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuchs Chemplex SI-LK 2 but that is hard to find. Look for a silicone grease which has an NLGI rating or ideally 3 of higher. I used some stuff years ago which was a 4. It was great for very slow moving applications.
The Carplan stuff is probably about a 1.
Granville market stuff which is probably a 2.
Anything in a squeezy tube is likely too thin. Ideally something in a tub which can probably withstand 200 degrees centigrade. There is some Carbusonic stuff on eBay which may be ok. Failing that, if you have sachets of silicone grease which is supplied with some brake calipers, that may be ok.

However much it costs, it will be worth it because I know I wished I'd spent a little extra on good silicone grease. Only the bushes I fitted with the supplied grease have become noisy and the bushes with silicone grease are still quiet after more than 30k miles.
That's great thank you Fruity!

That's just what I was after; thanks for the detail I will have a search based on that.

Yes if a job's worth doing it's worth doing right!

How odd that with copper grease they become noisy! What sort of noise a squeak I guess?
So glad you said about that I've got really embarrassingly loud squeaky rear brake/s at them moment it's driving me barmy!

1. I contacted the Poly Bushes people that are sending them and they said they include a sachet of Graphite Grease.

2. I spoke on the phone to my mechanic and he hasn't got any Silicone Grease in his workshop.

3. I spoke to my next door neighbour yesterday who is a Plumber (as online I'd seen tubs of Silicone grease advertised as Plumber's Grease. He said he uses some that's a bit like Vaseline consistency.
I guess that's the sort of consistency I'm after?...

Right I'll press on and get looking.....

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
A graphite grease should be ok but it definitely wasn't simply a graphite grease which came with my Strong Flex bushes. I have seen graphite grease before and it is more like molybedenum grease. Whether there has been a supply error is a possibility but my JTS has a constant groan with suspension movement similar to a dry ball joint. The grease supplied with my bushes was a dark copper colour with a metallic fleck. It may have been graphited copper grease which is still no good. It is the only time I have not used silicone grease and the only time bushes have become noisy. It is definitely the bushes making the noise and I've managed only once to quieten it with a liberal spray of silicone lubricant.

I'd say a Vaseline type of consistency should be perfect for a silicone grease used for lubricating polyurethane. That is certainly what Superflex (supplied by EB Spares) supply with their bushes and 100% of these bushes remained quiet 100% of the time.

I wouldn't have minded had it been easy bushes to access but the front ARB is the most awkward of the lot. It is just about enough for me to order the Eibach anti roll bars but I think I've spent enough on it for now as new alloys, a Squadra Tuning remap are awaiting trying out as soon as some restrictions are lifted along with yet another full timing belt kit, service kit- this time with Millers CFS NT+ along with auxiliary belt tensioner and a good quality exhaust front pipe which have yet to be done. The car isn't getting younger and one of these days I'm going to have to resort to use of the angle grinder and MIG welder. Cleaning any suspect underseal off every year with a flap disc and some primer then underseal seem to have kept the floor and structural bits good enough to not need any welding so far.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuchs Chemplex SI-LK 2 but that is hard to find.
I contacted them directly but they only sell HUGE batches at an extremely high price.
I asked if they could send me a sample but they declined lol. Oh well; worth an ask...

The Bushes arrived ok.
I've had other things to sort out so not sourced the Silicone Stuff as yet.
The search continues....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts