Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is not placed in the right area of the forum, gauging interest as I've run out of time, would anyone be interested in a project?

late 2005 GT needs repair - cambelt snapped last July (on the hottest day after sitting in the sun all day).

It's been a great car for the last 5 years but is now parked in the drive (has been parked up for 12 months), MOT ran out in July, fairly low mileage, need to double-check approx., 111k
Had a new stainless steel back box in last 18 months, various receipts, service history, black leather interior well cared for using Autoglym leather care. Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres on 17" Alfa multispokes.

I chose to source and fit OEM rockers, cam belt kit , waterpump, idler from Alfa workshop, timed using locking tools and compression test is a healthy, but couldn't get her to fire up. Seems to be fuel related (no power to injectors). I've only used an OBD2 plug and Torque app on my phone and ideally need to plug-in a laptop with MES to diagnose.

Plan A would be to get her diagnosed and back on the road, as I don't have the time on weekends anymore, would ideally need to get her transported to a local Alfa Inde but that's going to cost more time and £.

Plan B is to find an enthusiast, would be a good project for someone with the know-how as it's been taking up drive space that is now needed for a new car.

Car is located 10 mins from A1, Junction 8, Hertfordshire

If you are interested please get in touch (would be great for an enthusiast to put her back on the road).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Seems not which is a shame another GT goes to the place in the sky.
What are the sills like? Theres been a couple of threads recently highlighting that even when things look good on that area, theres usually rot rot rot inside.
Maybe folks don't want to take on the mechanicals and the likely body repairs that will be required.
Have you thought about braking it up a bit yourself. The interior looks good. The alloys look good. These items alone will be useful to many on here.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that the battery is good? Injectors won't fire unless it cranks at a minimum of (I think) 250rpm. After I repaired my head it took a massive amount of cranking to refill and repressurise the fuel lines. I'd pretty much reached the point where I thought I'd screwed up when it started. With a weaker battery it wouldn't have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The battery had been reconditioned using an MXS charger and was showing healthy voltage.

Offers welcome or it'll go to we buy many cars!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Final call.

Hi guys I've been offered £200 for this with a local breakers, they will collect her by end of the month, if anyone fairly local (Hertfordshire SG4, near J8 of the A1) is interested in this then please let me know asap, by this weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have had enquiries about parting it out - 200 for the gearbox - 40 for the alternator, 50 headlights, I would rather not strip for parts but am interested to know if there is any interest for this as an option?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've got a JTD engine sitting around, runs fine, the car it's from is rusting in half but the engine is good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I bought the car the sills had minor indentation but not as bad as other examples I looked at, minor as in you couldn't tell they were pushed up unless you looked under the car.

Front subframe was fine last MOT no advisories on underneath, as it's been sitting for just over 12 months I haven't looked at her recently as I am working away from home (parked at my parents, they must love me for leaving it there).

Thanks lukew I'm not as motivated to do an engine swap as I believe this is an electrical or fuelling problem that needs further investigation.

I was baffled the last time I tried to get her going, as the no power to injectors went beyond my understanding (mechanically it was timed up correctly and displayed healthy compression in all cylinders). I'm tempted to chuck a few hundred on getting her towed to a garage for a deeper investigation as I'd feel terrible not knowing the root cause.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I assume the car was running ok before the belt went. If that's the case then there can only be an error with the repair. What was your way of timing the engine up. Did you use cam wheel clamps or the crank locking pin with spring loaded cam locking pins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts