Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've recently purchased a 2007 147 jtd and replaced the front pads and discs today and noticed 1 of the wheel bolts was stripped.:(:rolleyes:
I then looked at the hub.. no thread.
I purchased this car for my partner and am worried about her driving it with 4 bolts instead of 5!
Do I have I to replace the hub if so how easy it this?
Or do I have any alternatives?

Thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Not that difficult but the level of skill required is similar to helicoiling it yourself. A helicoil will be the cheaper option as the chances are you will need to replace the abs sensor as well as the hub and the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't see the point of buying a hub puller,having the hassle of taking the hub off,getting the bearings off the hub,buying another hub and re-fitting it when you could just drive it to it an engineering shop/garage,have them fit an helicoil fitted,job done :confused:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Another vote for the helicoil or wire insert.

I will have to be an engineering place as most car workshops won't have tools for a thread of that size.

When I got the sump helicoiled, it cost only £50.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks Guys,

Ok, I've had a search on google on how to remove the hub, seems ok to me.
The only difficuly I can see is pulling the hub off.
I don't suppose you know if this will fit?

Clarke CHT240 'Universal'* Hub Puller - Machine Mart
Removing the hub is only half the battle, the other half is keeping the abs sensor in one piece.

I would get a replacement complete hub (secondhand)with abs sensor attached.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So what are the bearings going to like in said 'second hand' complete hub or indeed if the ABS sensor works?

You guys must have more money then sense.

Stick with what you have as you know it works(apart from the threaded bit of course)and repair it

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Helicoil. Cheapest, quickest, easiest. Job done.

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
So what are the bearings going to like in said 'second hand' complete hub or indeed if the ABS sensor works?
They'll be as good as the other 3 not-new wheel bearings and ABS sensors on the car :lol:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
as said helicoil......they drill out old threads and retap to a bigger size then put the helicoil in, this will give u perfect thread for the bolt.

u heed something like a 7 ton press to do the hubs and a new hub/bearing is gonna cost u £80 plus all the labour, and possible abs sensor

L

·
0 Posts
if it were my car I'd buy a M12 x 1.25 tap & re-thread the hole. Often times even though the bolt is damaged the hole can be re-threaded.

2nd option would be to buy a compete strut, with ABS sensor still attached, but without brake caliper & disc

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Guys,
After much research I'm going to see if the garage will re-thread the hole as suggested.
I have no idea how much damage has been done to the hub thread, so seems the best 1st option.
Fingers crossed.. I'll update tom, but bet they say 'sorry mate we don't do things like that'

If no success, I'm visiting my partners parents in a couple of weeks and her dads a bit of a mr fixit, so will present him with the helicoil set and leave him to it.

Overall, really pleased with the new car, I knew it had a lot of problems but have spent the last 2 days rectifying, so thanks to my old man for letting me use his drive and tools;

- New Brake pads and discs.
- New Fuel and Oil filter.
- Used white grease on clutch pedal mechanism, no more creaking.. hooray
- Horn now works
- Oil changed
- New uprated silicon Turbo hose
- Replaced blown brake light.
- Completley cleaned bonnet catch and greased - found out why I got the 2nd beep on alarm = micro switch had been damaged.
- Greased door and boot hinges. Greased gear change linkage.
- Cleaned engine bay.

Nearly finished, 4 new tyres tom and cambelt and water pump on Monday.
Not bad for a £2900 2007 147 collezione JTD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts