Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been watching Us and Sa youtube vids on "street racing", what am i missing, piloting a rocket ship down a straight is called drag racing yes no in the old days u left somerset drove to strand where u have a flag guy at the turn around point back to finish line where u started, lots of fun, but people prepping lanes and showing up with cars on trailers for a fast run down a straight, surely that is drag racing

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
True. The thing is...

Organised street racing is HUGE in Cape Town. Most cars are not roadworthy in the sense that they are modified for speed and will not pass as a road car. Some of them have their seats removed and have full roll cages.

Now, lets take those cars and launch them down a public road which is open to anyone who might come past and you have a recipe for carnage. I do not visit such events though when I was younger I did. never raced because speeds attained were ridiculous to say the least.

We often try to justify a bit of racing here and there (myself included) in traffic or on public roads and as long as everyone has a bit of fun then no harm was done but we often forget what our chances of survival are when things sometimes go a bit wrong:

This is the onramp I take each afternoon from marine Drive onto the N1. The engine oil is still visible on the underside of the Marine Drive onramp on the N1 outbound: Man dies, another critical after BMW Z4 crashes in Cape Town | News24
Cape Town drag race crash leaves one dead | News24

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A well known guy from here complained before, if he gets 2 300km/h on the N1 (from tunnel to town) he hits a bump in the road and it feels like the car is going to lift of, it happened on sunday eve, a amg with nitro rolled over the middle man and exploded 3 times where it landed, sad he kept running that same road till it killed him, knowing he can loose control

1 - 3 of 3 Posts