Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Is it acceptable to turn streetlights off in built-up areas between midnight and 5am?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An increasing number of councils are now turning off street lights between midnight and 5am in built-up areas. In some areas (like mine) this means it is now impossible to walk outside after midnight without a torch. The councils claim that the move will save thousands of pounds a year, yet the cost of modifying the streetlights means that in some cases, it will be years before savings are actually seen.

My own local council has spent millions on various projects this year, so I don't accept that they 'need' to turn off the lights to save a claimed £180K a year (minus the cost of modifying the streetlights). People feel trapped in their homes at night and, should you dare to go out in the evening, you need to be back before midnight, carry a torch, use a taxi or drive. As taxpayers, I think the council should have asked for our opinion and abided by it.

So what do you all think? Is it reasonable for the councils to plunge built up areas into total darkness between midnight and 5am?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
As a matter of safety, they should remain on IMO

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
Could they be dimmed? Or only use every other one?

It must be an absolutely vast expenditure of energy over the country.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Could they be dimmed? Or only use every other one?

It must be an absolutely vast expenditure of energy over the country.
No, they use the same tech as a fluorescent light. Either on or off.

TBH I'd like to see them off in certain areas, mind you getting my neighbours to aim there flood lights down a bit would help too, being woken up by a bright light coming on at 2am for nothing.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Or only illuminate when someone is passing beneath by use of sensors? - I reckon only 12.6 gazillion £'s to fit that kinda system? :lol:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Changing them all to LED would be a more worthwhile exercise in the long run. But that would cost £££ initially so it's not going to happen even though the energy saving benefits would be greater, even after three years or so.

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
If not having them is such a safety issue, how do people who live in the country cope?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
They have guns :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts