Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon folks. I've done a search but I can't find anyone with quite the same problem. A few weeks back, I noticed that my car was making an odd, very low sounding whine. The best way to describe it is the noise you hear from a fuel pump when your tank is low. The noise only occurs on anything past half lock, I only hear it when turning left, and it only ever happens when accelerating. It does not appear to be speed related, it happens in second gear corners and when in first too. There is no vibration, juddering or anything else, just this odd noise. It seems to be abut intermitant too, happening more when the car is warm. I had a Q2 fitted last year......is the diff just bedding in???? I've checked the diff oil and it's on the max. Does it make this noise as the oil warms and becomes 'looser'? I'm sure it's diff related as it only happens when turning whilst accelerating. Any advice would be very gratefully received.......I don't want to break down in the muddle of the convoy on Sunday.:lol:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Sounds like it's diff related, mine makes some noises occasionally when manouevring round car parks and stuff at low speed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it's diff related, mine makes some noises occasionally when manouevring round car parks and stuff at low speed.
Not an easy question to answer.....but do you think I'm worrying over nothing?? I've read some posts where people gave a silent Q2, and others where they make the odd noise. It's seems odd to me that the noise has only just occured....but maybe the diff has now bedded on...if indeed they need to. Q2 was fitted about 1500 miles ago.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I remember reading this a while ago, there was something to do with a washer needing to be replaced or something similar with this 'MOD' that can sometimes be overlooked (general pub and meet information), I could be way off the mark though and be chatting absolute 'bubbles'.

Looking at a Q2 in the near future so wondering about this one.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember reading this a while ago, there was something to do with a washer needing to be replaced or something similar with this 'MOD' that can sometimes be overlooked (general pub and meet information), I could be way off the mark though and be chatting absolute 'bubbles'.

Autolusso did the job, and they fit Q2's like they are going out of fashion, so I'm sure it's all as it should be. It seems odd though that I have only just started to hear the noise....but then Sean posted that his car 'sometimes' makes noises.....so maybe it's temperature related?? Looks like you're holding onto the GTA now then mate..?!

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Sure it's not a problem with the powersteering ?
(low / dirty hydraulic fluid, leaking pipe )

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure it's not a problem with the powersteering ?
(low / dirty hydraulic fluid, leaking pipe )
This is where I first looked, but there is no obvious leak, the resevoir is full, and the noise doesn't occur when you turn the wheel when the car is stationary......which I would think is when it is under most load. It's an odd one, this!

·
Registered
900 Posts
MY BAD haha its not been put in wrong then has it!!!! I should of realised really Ned is Mr Q2 right now.

You need a 'Does My Q2 make noise at low turning speed' Poll, see what happens.

Yeah looks like its a keeper for the foreseable future, nothing worth changing into that wont cause some muppets to want to come in my house again and take it. GTA keeps me smiling and as im still paying the best part of 16k back for the R32 i dont think its ethical haha

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MY BAD haha its not been put in wrong then has it!!!! I should of realised really Ned is Mr Q2 right now.

You need a 'Does My Q2 make noise at low turning speed' Poll, see what happens.

Yeah looks like its a keeper for the foreseable future, nothing worth changing into that wont cause some muppets to want to come in my house again and take it. GTA keeps me smiling and as im still paying the best part of 16k back for the R32 i dont think its ethical haha
That's not a bad idea about the poll mate....I might try that if no definative answers appear here:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Sorry sparky I have no idea mate. I was going to mention the power steering as jwq did. That was my first thought, but I doubt it's that if you have checked it all.

Mine doesn't make a noise (well not that I have noticed). Maybe give Ned a pm to ask if it's just a Q2 thing?

I hope you get your answer and it's nothing to worry about mate :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
On full lock when cold mine can sometimes skip but I think this is because the tyres are quite worn so it allows more slip.

I've never heard any knocks from the diff but I do try and avoid full lock manouvers to stop this skipping incase it strains it. Was the gear box replaced when the diff was done? What's the mileage?

·
Registered
961 Posts
On full lock when cold mine can sometimes skip but I think this is because the tyres are quite worn so it allows more slip.
First thing I noticed when I drove my Alfa away from Jamie Porter's with its new Q2 was that it does skip on full lock. I have heard this is normal, and I haven't noticed any unusual tyre wear.

I've also had a nasty moment with it with torque steer. I think in some situations it can make it worse than with the standard diff. But then I was being a bit of a d1ck. I was accelerating in third at maximum throttle and put a wheel on a white line. Traction was rapidly oscillating between both wheels which wasn't terribly pleasant.

BUT it has completely transformed the car, and for me has given it a new lease of life. Getting a Q2 fitted is like getting a new car.

Sorry, I am hijaking :tut:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Yep i've done something similar with Q2 in the wet lol - Suddenly finding yourself on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic does wake you up.

I hope this turns out to be nothing Sparky :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yep, should have mentioned my incident was in the wet. Don't understand why white lines can't be made with a rougher durable surface. Surely it's not beyond the realms of technology? They're like hitting ice!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks for the input guys.....I'm convinced it's diff related purely down to the fact that the noise only happens when turning and accelerating. I need to have a proper look and drive after Sundays meet.....if I get there:lol:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Many thanks for the input guys.....I'm convinced it's diff related purely down to the fact that the noise only happens when turning and accelerating. I need to have a proper look and drive after Sundays meet.....if I get there:lol:
mine makes the same noise and I don't know what it is. Also started about the same sort of miles as yours after Q2 was fitted also by Autolusso but I have done another 1k miles since and not had a problem

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
It's strange as the Q2 on our GT (factory fitted) whines when on full throttle in 1st and 2nd, the sound being like that from a 'straight cut' gearbox. But the Q2 in the GTV (Alfa independent fitted) doesn't make any noise :confused:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

shims to stop the diff 'floating'?

mines not noisy but oil temperature seems to effect its efficency? works best when hot - may be psycological? and when on full lock in reverse you can feel it skip a little as it winds itself up (have had various cars with lsds which do this - assuming its normal?)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shims to stop the diff 'floating'?

mines not noisy but oil temperature seems to effect its efficency? works best when hot - may be psycological? and when on full lock in reverse you can feel it skip a little as it winds itself up (have had various cars with lsds which do this - assuming its normal?)
I don't think you can actually shim it can you?

1 - 20 of 234 Posts