Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Alfanatics,

A strange one. Randomly, say every couple of months the power steering pump ejects a little fluid out of the reservoir and the pump makes an 'orrible screeching noise. New power steering rack and pump last time from an Alfa main dealer (don't ask how much!) seemed to fix the problem but it came back.

By experimentation I found that if I put the wheels on 80% lock and turn off the engine the wheels kick back as the pump pressure goes and the problem fixes itself. I think this is a clue. Before I top up my dealers retirement fund does anybody have any advice?

I don't think it is an Alfa 'feature'.

Nick :confused:

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Hi, Welcome to AO :)

My power steering is doing the same, it screeches on full lock and sometimes after being on full lock it will give a very strange noise while turning the wheel back, its happened ever since one of the PS cooler pipes burst and lots all its fluid while being driven hard on a track.

has yours every run out of fluid since it was changed? it couldnt be the belt slipping when there isa bigger load on the engine? :confused: thats a long shot actually, not that helpful but best of luck though ;) :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jack,

I think there is a blockage somewhere. On full lock the noise goes away. But otherwise the noise sounds like dry metal. I didn't realise that there is an oil cooler somwhere in there. Alfa said they checked the pipes as OK. I wonder...

Cheers,

Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts